AutoDesSys

Layers AND sub layer system

Hugo

It would be very nice if we could have a second organisation system in the future version. Layers are very useful of course, but a sub layer system makes modelling even better.

For instance in architecture we could organise foundation-ground floor-second floor-roof as a (main) Layer level. Walls, doors, windows, furniture etc. could be organised in the sub layer level. 

Organising the 3D model by switching on/off some of the (main) layers makes it very handy because all sub layers stay visible. Switching off some sub layers, will work through the whole model. The 3D model will be less complicated when many floors are in the building.

I know we can use groups in Layers, I do as well, but that is not the same as I suggested.

Layers and SUB Layers works different and makes it very easy to organise complex models. If we have only the Layers option, then we have to make for everything an unique layer name. This works fine if you use few, not if you use many. For instance: (FLOOR LEVEL 1 (Layer)) group, in this group: walls 1, doors 1, furniture 1, etc... (FLOOR LEVEL 2 (Layer)) group. In this group: walls 2 (walls 1 is not wanted because you want to switch on / off the group completely with all the sub layers)

In my suggestion you organise the group Layers: FLOOR LEVEL 1, FLOOR LEVEL 2, ... AND in the different pallet (SUB Layers) walls, furniture, doors, etc.

This organisation structure helps us to export easily to BIM standards, IFC (Industry Foundation Classes)

Anyway...

Ztek,

I think it can be done with Objects as you said. Did some test work and it seems a good alternative.

Groups in Object palet: FOUNDATION, FLOOR1, FLOORPLAN 1, FLOOR2, FLOORPLAN 2 etc...

Layers in palet: wall, door+windows, piping, furniture, etc...

Will test with a complex model... 😊

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...