AutoDesSys

Export for CNC paths

rmulley

I'm working on a cabinet design with everything CNC'd out of sheet plywood. I've tried exporting the model as flat outlines but my CNC guy is having to re-draw the panels because me files contain a lot of lines so he's had to clean it all up.

What's the best way to get a nice clean file to him to out into his CNC software ?

Thanks!

hi

you can use the orthographic projection with the "Derive tool" (the last one in the Derive palette) -if your panels are flat.

Or "Derive Segments" - with Shift select one after the other segment and copy to a new file.

good luck

vva

Thanks for this... Using the orthographic projection created some funky old geometry... So I ended up using the derive segment tool.

Do you know any way of getting rid of those iso lines when do an orthographic projection ?

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 10.12.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 10.12.33 AM.png

Edited by rmulley

I would always unfold the patterns I need.  If you separate the faces you want first, you don't have to post cleanup.

I have a couple of old tutorials that show the process in the old 6.x  but it is essentially the same.

To be specific, the tutorials are designed for compound curves, but that won't stop you from doing the above.

ftp://ftp.formz.com/pub/formz/PDF_files/tutorials/compound_surface.pdf

ftp://ftp.formz.com/pub/formz/PDF_files/tutorials/boat_hull.pdf

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...