Jump to content
AutoDesSys Forums
Donald Wardlaw

The formz change I would most like to see.

Recommended Posts

Paste replaces selected object.

I realize this is a tradition in formz, but it causes me to lose more time than just about anything.  The reason is that it is very easy to inadvertently select an object, move the scene so that it is out of view, and then paste an object I want to paste.  Then later I notice that some object I've modeled is not longer there.  Happens to me a lot.

In my opinion, this behavior should be a simple preference that can be on or off.

Thanks,

Donald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donald,

FormZ is really flexible to be able to be setup as you need it.  You will likely have to customize the UI and key shortcuts to get the most out of it.  I know it may be an extra step, but I use a shortcut key to avoid accidentally replacing a selected object before I Paste.  The 'Deselect' function is located under Edit>Deselect and it's default shortcut is CTRL+TAB, and I have mine setup as the single key shortcut ` which is just left of the 1 key.  I find this much easier than the 2 button default, and I just tap it in case I have something selected that shouldnt be before I Paste.

FYI, I also use the spacebar as return to Pick tool.  I've been using that 10+ years and when they added the Favorite Tools to the spacebar shortcut, I found I didn't really need it except for finding infrequently used tools and its handy since you can type the tool name and have it pop up.  However I use CTRL+SPACE as the Favorite Tools shortcut now to keep that cool function when I need it.  

Hope this helps.

-Justin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not what you want, but I like the idea of copy an object, than click with the mouse somewhere on the reference plane (selected objects will automatically deselected) and paste the object. The object will appear at the center of your last click with the mouse on the reference plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 4:33 AM, Hugo said:

Maybe not what you want, but I like the idea of copy an object, than click with the mouse somewhere on the reference plane (selected objects will automatically deselected) and paste the object. The object will appear at the center of your last click with the mouse on the reference plane.

This is the method I follow as well. One needs only make this mistake two or three times to change that habit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see formZ stop showing up as "Not Responding" when saving/importing/exporting/closing files.  Every time this happens I have a mini heart attack.

In the same vein: take the status bar of these operations out of the Action Palette and open up a new window with the status bar.  But not with Auto-Save.  This should just happen quickly in the background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another selection related option I'd like to see.

Highlight color for objects that are positioned to select, that is the cursor is over and the object will select with a click, those objects I'd like to see in a different color from selected objects.

Maybe like this:

Cursor over object, but not yet formally selected, object highlights green.

Object selected, object highlights red.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Donald Wardlaw said:

Here is another selection related option I'd like to see.

Highlight color for objects that are positioned to select, that is the cursor is over and the object will select with a click, those objects I'd like to see in a different color from selected objects.

Maybe like this:

Cursor over object, but not yet formally selected, object highlights green.

Object selected, object highlights red.

 

You can do that already by going to Project Settings > Appearance > Select or create and custom style > Select Pre-Pick to change the colour to green or whatever.

 

Des

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Des said:
14 hours ago, Donald Wardlaw said:

Here is another selection related option I'd like to see.

Highlight color for objects that are positioned to select, that is the cursor is over and the object will select with a click, those objects I'd like to see in a different color from selected objects.

Maybe like this:

Cursor over object, but not yet formally selected, object highlights green.

Object selected, object highlights red.

 

You can do that already by going to Project Settings > Appearance > Select or create and custom style > Select Pre-Pick to change the colour to green or whatever.

Thanks Des. Also be sure that you have "Selection Preview" checked in the Edit Menu. When enabled, the preview of the selection will be shown in the "Pre-Pick" color when the cursor is over the Object/Face/Edge etc or in the boundary of an area selection. This option is on by default (but could have be inadvertently deselected in the Edit menu).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola! there’s so many good ideas about some little changes and new capabilities, in this discussion and others... it’s great to see our community so involve and I’m sure that Tech and the dev’s are listening.

So, after all these years using this great software that’s part of my DNArch now!, I just have one little addition to the list. I really would like to see that FZ maintains the size of Materials, generics or textured, when you copy and paste from one project to an other or when you import through Add To Project, etc... Excuse me, but for me, it’s very tedious some time use the different workarounds to get that information for every material imported or save them on one or different libraries and follow that procedure... in the way that I work, it’s much more easy just ‘copy and paste’ with the correct data...

Thanks for listening!... and thank you ADS for this such great tool you develop for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 7:07 PM, Donald Wardlaw said:

Paste replaces selected object.

I realize this is a tradition in formz, but it causes me to lose more time than just about anything.  The reason is that it is very easy to inadvertently select an object, move the scene so that it is out of view, and then paste an object I want to paste.  Then later I notice that some object I've modeled is not longer there.  Happens to me a lot.

In my opinion, this behavior should be a simple preference that can be on or off.

This follows the broad UI standard that you normally expect with a paste operation (think of how in a text editor the paste operation replaces the highlighted text). While a 3D application is a bit different, its not uncommon to copy a set of objects, paste them in an empty project to work with them and then copy and paste them back into the original project. In this workflow you want to replace the original objects but there are also times where you may not won't to replace them and its easy to forget to deselect first.

We can easily add some control over this function, the question is what is the best way? One option is a preference setting (Replace on Paste: on/off/ask) but that is hard to find and tedious to change. A better solution may be separate paste commands in the edit menu (ie "Paste" and "Paste and Replace").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Edit,  didn't read Z's response until I wrote mine. I agree with the first part.

Separate commands makes sense to me.  That way, both options would be available. And not needing to switch back and fourth depending on the flavor of behavior you may want that day.

 

¢£

Edited by Chris lund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to cause me issues from time to time, but now I have taught myself to deselect before copy/paste.   Paste + Paste & Replace would be a nice option to see implemented.   After all my more pressing suggestions of course!  😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the current behavior as a tool, to replace objects, I select them prior to the paste, to add objects, I deselect everything prior to the paste.  Works great.

If a new paste option is added, please insure that it does not conflict with the current implementation of standard key shortcuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×