AutoDesSys

Unexpected behavior, Slice tool

¢hris £und

tech,  Just noticed something I wasn't expecting.

Slice tool is misbehaving in multiple ways.

1. Slice does not follow the "ghost, delete, keep operands" settings

2. Slicing with heal, actually leaves an original operand, and a copy of that operand as well as the final object.

Create a cube, and a slicing operand like a rectangle.  Perform slice (with heal)   there are now two of the operands, the original and one at the nearest face of object to the operand.

3. if slicing a face instead of a solid, there becomes a weird extrusion on the face.

4. Heal does not head faces ( Pretty sure it used to )

5. if heal of a face is attempted, one cannot stitch the operand and the resulting face together.  Does work if heal was not used.

THanks

Thanks!

Chris Lund

Edited by Chris lund
prematurely posted and added content

• 1 year later...

Ztek, Just to confirm:

1: The line you are using to slice with is ghosted?

4: if the object you are slicing is a surface or a standalone face. the heal option does what?  I guess I would expect it to stitch the two parts back together.

Both 10.15.x   and 10.13.6

¢£

Hi Chris,

1: No, just the object I want to cut... which in my opinion is correct and is the way this tool has always worked.

4:  You're right, when slicing a surface object this tool doesn't stitch the resulting two parts with the "Heal" option checked... although, to my knowledge, this possibility has never been an option.

Best, Marcelo

I don't know where my dongle for 6.x is or I would test it.    I could swear that 1 would also ghost both operands.  Certainly could be wrong though.

Agreed of 4, I think when I originally wrote it, I was expecting that.  Technically, however, that would be a secondary behavior special to a surface.   It is actually more consistent as it is.

¢£

Kim, it is slicing and healing for me.  But just in case, The heal will put a face on each of the two resulting objects.  Not stitch them together into a single object.

In this case, however, the slice is probably the wrong tool to use where you are placing the operand.  It will and does create co-planer surfaces at each of the holes where the slicing line overlaps.   If you want there to be a single object, you would be better off slicing without the heal and then stitching it back together.  Or use the Offset segment tool and apply from the large segment that is parallel to the x-axis then move it towards the holes (y-direction).

If you are ok with a seam that travels all the way around, then the slice and stitch will be faster.   If you are looking for more control, the offset segment is the better choice.

I think it would be fairly easy to create a script to do the slice/stitch in a single action if that is something you would want.  Though we are stuck with utility scripts for the time being.

Chris.

Kim,

I agree with Chris that the Slice tool is not the right one, because the slicing line is coplanar with one of the faces of the six holes, in the way that you are using the tool, perpendicular to the XY plan. A good advice would be always to avoid these cases.

My recommendation for this particular case would be to do it in the simplest way... first, copy object 1, then use the Reshape tool with the Keep Edges option and reshape object 1 in the +Y direction towards -Y until the cursor snaps the line object 7... the resulting object 1 will have all 13 coplanar faces... then, ghost this object and paste the original object 1 from the clipboard and perform the same operation in the -Y to +Y direction, to obtain a second object 1 with the other half if necessary.

Best, Marcelo