AutoDesSys

Sharp edges/creases in sub-d models?

-andrew-

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to create an object (such as a car hood) that has smoothing as well as sharpened edges / creases. Been searching through the terminology, but can't seem to find what it's called / what modeling tools do this.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Personally I would forego Sub D and go straight to Nurbs modeling.  In the past when modeling furniture and cars I would create profiles and then start joining them with the Nurbs Loft, Nurbs Boundery and then Nurbs extend, blend etc.  It has proven to be more reliable and predictable when accuracy  is important.    To get sharper edges you just use Tight Lofting.  Just my two cents.

Ok, so... looking into this a bit more, I simply can't get the process to work following this tutorial.

I am trying to insert a knot, and while I can see where it appears on the surface, when I drag, I don't get the yellow "contour line" you can see in the video.

Further, "kink" seems to have no effect. Also... how do I kink existing geometry?

Is there another tutorial/reference I can try out?

Very frustrating...

Adding "sharp" edges in FZ sub-d is basically the same as in most other programs. 

You essentially have 2 options:

One is to use the "edge/point" sharpness tool. You have to be careful with this as too much starts to create a "pinched" effect.

The other is to simply to add additional geometry with the "insert sequences" command.

There is a lot that can be done with sub-d if you take the time to really learn the correct approach.

With that being said, I don't mind adding that FZ's sub-d tool set leaves a lot to be desired when compared to 

Cinema4D or even Strata for that matter.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 8.00.28 AM.png

Hey again... thanks, I'll try it. Where exactly is this tool? I can't seem to find it... 

Funny - Strata was my first "real" 3D software, purchased way back in 1993 or so... motivated by Myst! That said, I haven't kept up, and it seems they've made it much more confusing than it needs to be (and eliminated the packaging capabilites).

Is there no way in FZ to edit a poly model by points/vertices, lines, edge loops, faces, etc.  ?

I started using Strata in 1997. I think it was called "Strata Blitz" or something like that.

At that time there weren't many 3D apps for the Mac.

Since then I worked in Cimena4D, 3DS Max, and now FZ.

Anyhow, I have worked with a few ex Strata users and they all seem to be confused by FZ.

There isn't much out there in the way of tutorial stuff beyond the little that FZ provides, so if you are on your own it's a pain.

I just hunkered down and through a lot of trial and error (plus what I already knew)

I have more or less gotten good at it.

See the attachment on selecting points, edges, and faces.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 11.32.22 AM.png

:) Good times

Thanks for the images - I'm familiar with what you're showing; I'm more specifically referring to direct editing of these entities on a strictly polygon model. An extension of this would be the ability to work directly on the surface of a nurbs model.

You can turn off "show controls" and work directly with the geometry itself instead of the controls if that's what you are asking.

I sort of go back and forth between the two.

If you are referring to something else, then I am not following you.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.34.12 PM.png

Archived