AutoDesSys Forums
Spannerhead

Why do my lights shine through objects?

Had this issue ever since 6.5, and I was hoping they would have fixed it for 8.6...  Maybe I'm doing something wrong though?

See attached images.  My display has two rows of 5 point lights.  75% intensity.  They shine THROUGH half the objects on the display (like on the top surface of the base module at the back---that area should be completely in the dark but it's lit up like there's a light right next to it...).

Any insight would be super helpful.  Would be SO nice to be able to create lighting "in camera" rather than fudging it in Photoshop after the fact.....

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 2.30.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 2.30.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 2.30.32 PM.png

7 minutes ago, Andrew West said:

Sure looks like you have shadow casting turned off in your light setting. It needs to be enabled for all your lights. 

Thanks, but here it is with shadow casting on.  The top of the bottom row of bins should be lit up, and there's no reason the reflective floor should be totally blown out like that.  And I don't see any evidence the top lights are turned on at all.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 2.51.22 PM.png

Hi, did you check that your bottom reflective floor is receiving shadows? It look that this option is turned off in their attributes...

Are you using V-ray or just straight RenderZone?  If using V-ray I would forget about point lights and use a flat plane or a mesh light.   Much simpler and easy to control.  Better still if you have the time your project would benefit from Maxwell but that is much more of a commitment. 

It certainly still looks like you have issues with shadow casting and receiving in both your lights palette and your materials.