AutoDesSys

slower renders in v8 compared to v6.7

SJD

Hi

I'm finding that my render times are slower using v8 - are there any settings that might be skewing my results?

my computer performance test is in line with other results so it seems my mac is working fine

20:37     i7      2.3 GHz quad core      16Gb RAM       2012 Mac Mini        OS 10.9.5          I back saved the file to V6.7 and clocked a time of 18:03

I have used a couple of old files for my other tests created in V6.6

file 1 - 19:07 (V8)  12:06  (V6.7)

file 2 - 6:02  (V8)   4:36   (V6.7)

there were slight discrepancies with lighting parameters (grouped spotlight settings) but both the resulting images are virtually the same - is this what I should be seeing?

any advice appreciated

thanks

I notice the same thing using the v8 Trial on my 12 core 2010 Mac Pro.  I tried playing with the Processor # setting, but it still doesn't make v8 render anywhere near as fast as v6, often upwards of 40-50% slower.  This is one of the complaints we had with the Beta, that was never resolved.  Hopefully a simple patch can get v8 rendering faster!   Tech?

Hi Justin,

We have been re-running render tests with formZ v6 vs. v8, and v8 is faster on all our computers, on both Mac and Windows.

RenderZone in formZ v6 was limited to 8 processors maximum, and while this was extended to allow more processors with formZ v8, this is intended only for actual processors on OS X, and not "hyper-threaded virtual" ones.  If you test rendering with your copy of formZ v8 set to 6 or 8 processors, does that then render as fast or faster than your v6 does?

Hi Steve,

For your Mac Mini "quad" core i7 -- if you go into the formZ v8 Imager: Preferences, does this show All Processors = 4 or 8?  If this is recognizing "virtual" processors, if you change that to 4 so it only uses actual processors, does that then render as fast or faster than does v6 for  you too?

Dennis, I'm not sure what is up with your numbers, but it looks like you are reporting fractions of seconds???

Tech-

Something is definitely up with my computer and RenderZone then.  While my 12 core 3.46ghz renders as fast as a new Mac Pro 12 core in Maxwell (do a find text for 'OSX')- http://www.maxwellrender.com/benchwell

I'm nowhere near as fast as expected in RenderZone using the performance test file:

v8

12 cpu - 00:35:23

24 cpu - 01:04:04

v7

12 cpu - 00:11:59

24 cpu - 00:11:28

v6

12 cpu - 00:11:47

24 cpu - 00:12:11

So something is amiss with my v8 results.  I noticed very slow rendering during the Beta, and now the Trial.  That's a large part of the reason I have not made the jump to purchase v8 yet.  Hopefully it's something simple since my v7 and v6 results are pretty much inline with the others.  

I also noticed that the test file uses a bunch of settings beyond what we normally use.  Typically Ambient Occlusion on low is sufficient, and Final Gather hasn't been needed, but something I'll take a look at to incorporate in the future.

Hi Justin,

We suspect that with your computer, formZ v6 is only using 6 processors.  If you change the v6 Imager to render with 6 and 8 processors, what are your times?

And if you also change v8 to render with 6 and 8 processors, what are those times?

Hi Tech-

I'm not seeing that with my results -

v6

6 cpu - 00:17:13

8 cpu - 00:13:37

12cpu- 00:11:47

24cpu- 00:12:11

My v8 Imager demo is no longer giving me an option for RenderZone under Rendering Type.  I'm not sure how that could have happened.  Is there a way to reset this?

Thanks,  I hope we can figure out how to get v8 optimized for 12+ cores and hyperthreading in OSX. 

Hi Justin,

We just found a case whereby the Maxwell Render Plugin can potentially cause RenderZone to not show in the Imager.  Thanks for helping to bring this to our attention, we will get this corrected.

Do you have this Maxwell Render Plugin loaded?  If so, if you Quit formZ and Imager, and add an Underscore ("_") to the beginning of the name of the folder:

post-5-0-92598000-1419025662_thumb.jpg

Does RenderZone then reappear when you relaunch the Imager?

And if so, does formZ v8 render as fast as v6 when you set it to use 6 or 8 processors?

Ok, so here's my v8 results:

4 cpu - 00:31:19

6 cpu - 00:21:20

8 cpu - 00:28:08

12 cpu-00:35:23

24 cpu-01:04:04

So, while I could set the CPU to 6, it appears something is not working right with RenderZone's scaling in v8.

v7 results:

12 cpu - 00:11:59

24 cpu - 00:11:28

v6 results:

6 cpu - 00:17:13

8 cpu - 00:13:37

12 cpu-00:11:47

24 cpu-00:12:11

After hearing about v8's speed improvements, I would expect this test to fall in the 8-9 second range.  Especially since the 6 cpu setting creates the fastest result, while leaving the other 6 physical cores idle.

Let me know what can be done to help!  

Hi Steve,

For your Mac Mini "quad" core i7 -- if you go into the formZ v8 Imager: Preferences, does this show All Processors = 4 or 8?  If this is recognizing "virtual" processors, if you change that to 4 so it only uses actual processors, does that then render as fast or faster than does v6 for  you too?

thanks Tech

I will give this a try and let you know

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justin,

Sorry, we really don't know why this would be slower on your computer.  Perhaps there is something wrong with the Preferences?  If you Quit all copies of formZ, go to the Desktop: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences -- and rename the autodessys folder, if you then relaunch formZ, set the Preferences to 6, and render the file once more, does that help?

If not, if you Delete the formZ Folder and reinstall once more, does that help?

Hey Tech-

Unfortunately your suggestions did not work.  I tried the preferences reset, as well as fully reinstall.  I'm still only able to get 19min as a best result in v8 on the test file, where as I get 11min in v6 and v7.  Any other things I could try?  Have you heard from Lightworks about why v8 needs to be set at 6cpu for best performance, despite many of us having more idled cores we could use?

Thanks.

Hi Justin,

We have not had a reply from Lightworks yet, but we will let you know when they do.  However, we are not reproducing what you report on any of our computers, so we are not sure why v8 is being slow for you.  We will continue investigating, but unless we can reproduce this, we are not sure how we would be able to find the cause or solution.  Hopefully Lightworks will have an idea...

Archived