AutoDesSys

Dimensions

Alan Cooper

I have mentioned before about this problem, but as it slows my workflow so much, here attached is a video explaining how it seems in some cases to be impossible to dimension some simple 3d objects in many situations in 3d. A simple fix could be if segment dimensioning could be disabled so snaps can concentrate on positions like vertices or mid points of edges when required.

In the video I am trying to dimension the width of a door but all FormZ is interested in doing is dimensioning segments which are not relevant to this task. It would be easier if the view was orthogonal, of course, but that is not always what is required.

http://screencast.com/t/aqKS3ulrj

In the second video,

http://screencast.com/t/WROwYNDjhevz

I am dimensioning easily and quickly with another 3d software program which uses active keystroke snapping instead of mouse clicks to a vertex or midpoint [among others also available]. We really need this efficiency please, or at least to disable segment bias. I find it incredulous that what seems to me as a serious weakness has not been addressed in a program which has been around so many years.

Please improve dimensioning in 3d very soon so we can snap wherever we want to quickly and accurately.

Hi Alan,

We are not quite sure what you are trying to show in your second video, but with your first video, it looks like you are intentionally trying to avoid putting the cursor over the point that you "want" to dimension.  Just put your cursor over the point so the snap turns green and you should easily be able to get a dimension to a point or midpoint:

post-5-0-22972200-1418306507_thumb.jpg

If this is not working for you for some reason, can you please send a simple file where you are having trouble so we can investigate this?

Thanks, Tech, I can see what you mean about not getting close enough to the points, but when I got close segment dimensioning became active.

You are right, I just tried again and whether the view was different or something else, it is now working much better and not over biased by segment dimensioning this time.

I think my system plays up as it was heading for FormZ not responding which I posted about later so maybe it is a sign to me of trouble ahead. Still a fact though that my system has more issues with this program than others I use which I expect are less intensive on resources. A conflict maybe.

Thank you Tech. Malwarebytes, IBM Trusteer Rapport and Zemana Antilogger all claimed they were different and can run alongside other anti virus programs, but my technician thought I was unnecesarily paranoid. I think my working file being on a conventional hard disk instead of the SSD where the operating system and program files are situated were a factor too.

Archived