AutoDesSys

V-Ray hardware support when rendering

santa

Hello everyone! Will V-Ray take full advantage of all hardware resources when rendering? I am a potential new Form.Z/V-Ray user, and plan to install it onto a powerful Windows 10 workstation.

On the CPU side, the workstation has 72 cores (2x 18 core Xeons), while on the GPU side it has 2x Quadro K6000 plus 1x Tesla K20 co-processor. It also has 128 GB of ECC memory.

My understanding is that the current version of V-Ray uses CPU+GPU for rendering. Will V-Ray see the two Xeon processors as two nodes, and therefore require the purchase of a second node license?

I would welcome comments from anyone with a similar hardware setup. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your interest in V-Ray for formZ. You should experience excellent results with this hardware!  With V-Ray you can choose to use CPU, GPU or both (hybrid). V-Ray for formZ will use all of the hardware resources available. You can also choose which resources are used if desired. 

V-Ray is licensed per render instance, not per processor or cores. That is one V-Ray for formZ application requires one license which can use all of the hardware available to render.

If you want to perform a second rendering simultaneously within the same application instance (ie open a second project while the first is rendering and render it with V-Ray) then you can add an extra render node to your license. Render nodes can also be used for distributed rendering on machines on your local network. V-Ray uses a online license server that allows the licenses to be shared within your organization. 

Does this help?

Archived