AutoDesSys

Subdivison object > display resolution

jldaureil

Does anyone know why we do not have the display resolution parameter for a subd object when it's a smooth geometry?

(info> object type = subdivision

model type = smooth)

And so how to adjust the resolution before converting it to quad mesh (with subdivision convert tool)?

Objects which have been Subdivided have there own equivalent known as iterations, the default is 3 iterations.

Once you click on the subdivided object with the SubD tool, the info is displayed in the Tool Options palette.

You can also play with the sharpness of the whole object or individual points/edges/faces as long as the object has been selected with the subdivide tool..

Des

Hi Des

Thank you very much

I suppose this is related to the maintenance of quad polygons.

"The form•Z subdivision system is based on the Catmull-Clark algorithm [Catmull and Clark 1978]. At each increasing level of subdivision, each face gets split into four new faces. For this reason and others, one important aspect of good subdivision modeling is the construction and maintenance of a polygonal structure that is made up of polygons that are four sided. The subdivision tools in many case help to preserve an underlying "quad" mesh. This allows the subdivision operations to have predictable results when dividing, or adding new faces."

by the way I take the opportunity to ask you if you know if there is an area in this forum (I mean a discussion in particular) that summarizes the features of the 673 version that have not been converted to version 8 and for which other users requested an update

This information is currently diffuse and so it is common to report a question that has already been the subject of a report ...

I think it would be nice if we had a place where all the users but also the developers could find a list of specific request for tools or options in 673 that it would be a good idea to transfer in 8 ...
Ideally it would also be really responsible to communicate what is likely to be updated and what will never be updated (which implies choosing another software solution or continuing to work with 673 in parallel.)

Archived