AutoDesSys

How do you Shell a tapered object?

virgox2

Is there a shell tool that I just am not looking hard enough for? 

I understand you can offset and reshape by pushing/pulling.

But if you try to offset the base of a Conical or Paraboloid object, how do you reshape to follow the angle of the taper?

Thanks.

Normally I select the faces that need to be removed from the shell and cut or delete them, then use the thicken tool with the direction set to inside.

Depending on the shape some clean up may be required. I really would love to see a shell command as thicken is not the same thing. In SharkCAD there is a shell tool and it is distinct and separate to the thicken tool.

Normally I select the faces that need to be removed from the shell and cut or delete them, then use the thicken tool with the direction set to inside.

Depending on the shape some clean up may be required. I really would love to see a shell command as thicken is not the same thing. In SharkCAD there is a shell tool and it is distinct and separate to the thicken tool.

Thanks for the workaround. Absolutely agreed a shell tool is indispensable.  I'm also a user of Shark LT and VC pro, and only recently decided to purchase FZ Pro after holding off for years – so that's where I'm coming from.  Probably will take me much time to get used to the nuances of FZ.

I have been using both for years and they can work together depending on how you organise your workflow.

FormZ is much faster for roughing out a concept but SharkCAD has a deeper toolset for product and mechanical design.

Coming from Shark LT I don't think you will struggle with FormZ it is much more direct and easier to understand.

It is better not to look for feature parity though. 

Kind of interesting is that Vellum Cobalt has reappeared at a lower price point and is being sold alongside Strata3D products as well as on the Ashlar-Vellum site.

Almost identical to SharkCAD but Cobalt still has the constraint system that SharkCAD was forced to drop after version 8. 

I've asked for a shell tool many years ago, I even had to explain the difference between shell and the delete face+thicken solution.

I'm not very optimistic about the chances for such development.

In the last couple of years I'm using OnShape as my main CAD platform along side with Form-Z.

OnShape is much more comprehensive CAD system with more robust construction history then Shark/Ashlar Etc. And it plays well with Form-Z.

I've asked for a shell tool many years ago, I even had to explain the difference between shell and the delete face+thicken solution.

I'm not very optimistic about the chances for such development.

In the last couple of years I'm using OnShape as my main CAD platform along side with Form-Z.

OnShape is much more comprehensive CAD system with more robust construction history then Shark/Ashlar Etc. And it plays well with Form-Z.

I understand - that's fine.  Haven't come across an absolutely perfect 3d cad system for the mac platform yet. 

Re onshape: they called me at one of my previous employers and spent an hour trying to sell me the system. Although I wasn't responsible for the financial aspect, I just couldn't get over the SaaS cloud based nature.  Fusion 360 is another one.. suitable for hobbyists or those who may not be too sensitive to confidentiality..  Onshape is pretty useful otherwise.  Just needs to not be cloud based.

I have been using both for years and they can work together depending on how you organise your workflow.

FormZ is much faster for roughing out a concept but SharkCAD has a deeper toolset for product and mechanical design.

Coming from Shark LT I don't think you will struggle with FormZ it is much more direct and easier to understand.

It is better not to look for feature parity though. 

Kind of interesting is that Vellum Cobalt has reappeared at a lower price point and is being sold alongside Strata3D products as well as on the Ashlar-Vellum site.

Almost identical to SharkCAD but Cobalt still has the constraint system that SharkCAD was forced to drop after version 8. 

Yeah FormZ is kind of familiar to me in a sense.. but not entirely as it has many other tools that I am unaccustomed to coming from Shark/VC.  Its got a lot of very cool modifiers and deformers etc.  I also like the easy animation one can do for quick presentations.  I don't like the jagged anti-aliased edge look when I first open it, but that's easily changed in the display options.  Looks a bit "Sketchup like" at first.  Actually FZ has so MANY interesting tools that you just don't find anywhere else.. ADS sure are a creative bunch.  I hope FZ continues to be developed even though I can't imagine it has a very big market these days.  I however bought it because I wanted to design more interesting things and because it seems extremely versatile. 

I've been following Cobalt as well – almost bought it too – and yes, because of the Constraints they sadly removed from Shark Pro.  I guess it was something about putting that money toward the SubD tools instead.  Cobalt seems almost like a stripped down version of Shark.  I don't know how much they still develop it on a regular basis...?   Interesting "marriage" between Strata and Ashlar-Vellum... Strata seems like its used a lot for package designers while Cobalt is straight up mechanical design.  I wonder how that ever came to be. Ashlar-Vellum does/or did offer at one time a plugin or separate tool for die cutting cardboard.  Maybe that's why...  Graphite on the other hand, is rather bizarre.  I guess I still don't understand its purpose.. It is incredibly expensive ($1400) considering it offers way less function that even Via Cad Pro (<$200)...

Archived