AutoDesSys

8.6.2 Crash --> SubD and Reshape

virgox2

Recently and finally purchased a license to FormZ Pro 8.6.2 build 10099 OS X.  Can't say I'm not impressed with the giant assortment of modeling and modifying tools etc.

Today I decided to open it up for the first time to start learning. 

What is worrisome to me, is that it crashes when I do the following:

1. create cube

2. subdivide (1)

3. reshape tool to a face

4. Crash instantly

Happens no matter how many times I've tried it.

Any advice on this issue?  Could very well be the operator!!! :P

Omar

I can confirm that this is a bug.  I have the same crash.  Fortunately there are many ways to create geometry in Form.z and everyone does things differently.  For many years we have found ways to work around buggy tools and we have learned which ones to avoid.  If you are truly new to Form.z take some time to go through the tutorials to see how things are done. 

Sub-D objects have their own set of tools.  The "Grow Face Tool" is the "Reshape Tool" for Sub-D objects. formZ Pro Manual

FZ certainly should certainly not be crashing if the wrong tool is used. 

Would it be possible to eliminate the specialized Sub-D tool(s) entirely and just use the standard counterpart tools, such as Reshape, already available for working with standard objects?   FZ could determine which type of object is selected and then utilize the appropriate subroutines internally and transparently to the user.  It would be an efficient solution to this issue.

Some of the similar tools:

SubD Grow F is similar to Reshape

SubD Grow E is similar to Extrusion

SubD Offset F is similar to Offset Outline

SubD Bridge is similar to Loft

There is still a decent amount of instability with SubD modeling... a lot of that has to do with using the "wrong" tools on these models.  No, the file should not crash, but there should be some sort of null icon on the cursor that says "this tool cannot be used with subdivision objects."  I think ADS skipped over this step when developing the subD tools.

Thanks for the answers all.  Agreed, the red circle with line thru it should best appear when trying to use reshape over a SubD object.

Nevertheless, understood. The rule should be as it is with all modeling programs, use the right tool for the right operation. 

To explain further where I'm coming from, I am new to owning a license, but have tested out various trial versions on and off over the years. 

Archived