AutoDesSys Forums
beyondyong

Decal cannot work in vray render

I believe the Decal tool is only used for RenderZone rendering.  All the other rendering engines cannot use that style of mapping, so you will need to use the normal texture mapping method to map textures onto geometry.

In my opinion, the Decal tool has very limited use and should be abandoned.  

Any movement on this?  If the decal feature (or a VRay equivalent) isn't present, it could be a dealbreaker for me.  I use them all the time.  Very handy for the kind of work I do.

I'm curious why the Decal tool is so important?

It's really simple to just create an offset surface, turn off shadow casting, and map an alpha channel enabled texture to it for a decal.  This works with all the rendering engines, including the Shaded engines, so editing while working in Shaded mode is much easier without having to launch the separate Decal tool that was really only meant for RenderZone rendering.

I could see that.

Highly sculpted geometry and FormZ isn't something we often hear used together and memory handling is also supposed to be much better in v9, so I would hope that's really a non issue in the future for people using the appropriate hardware for these types of complex geometries.  

Unless there is a way to support it using OpenGL as well, I can't really see much future in it outside of RenderZone which is being deprecated without further development.  I've looked around for other renderers that can use decals, and am not finding much outside of game engines.  

On 9/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, Justin Montoya said:

I'm curious why the Decal tool is so important?

It's really simple to just create an offset surface, turn off shadow casting, and map an alpha channel enabled texture to it for a decal.  This works with all the rendering engines, including the Shaded engines, so editing while working in Shaded mode is much easier without having to launch the separate Decal tool that was really only meant for RenderZone rendering.

There are SO many things out there with two or more textures superimposed on each other.

Labels, stickers, logos, decals, etc etc.

It's so much more elegant to have the tool that replicates what actually happens in the real world rather than going through all the trouble to create additional geometry.  What a pain.

Take a Coke can for example.  I work in the retail display industry so this is a very common product type.

I'll have a base texture of the red Coke label, and a decal:  The top of the can with the pull tab.  The beauty of decals is twofold:

1. I don't have to create additional geometry just for add'l textures.
2. I can change the base texture with a single click without modifying the decal.  So if I want to change the Coke can to a Sprite can, I just highlight the Sprite can label texture in my Materials palette and click the can.  Done.

Many other situations like this.