AutoDesSys

CRASH again and again.. please help!

Spacer

HI,

I am on Win7 FZ Pro 64. 16 Go Ram. Nvidia GTX 560. I have lost a lot of time trying to figure this out. I moved my files to the desktop as per a suggestion of someone on the forum. I still get this crash whose message in the the Ndivia pilot could not respond  "Windows Nvidia Kernel Mode Driver ne répondait plus" (in French- sorry).

I removed, cleaned and re-installed the card- it was dusty but looks fine.

I get a crash which seems related to Nvidia driver though I have re-installed twice and am up to date.

post-9808-0-07654800-1527413333_thumb.png

I just discovered a crash log in Windows Maintenance Center which says this:

Source
formZ Pro

RÈsumÈ
Fonctionnement arreté

Date
27/05/2018 11:03

Statut
Non signalÈ

Description
Chemin díaccËs de líapplication dÈfaillante :    C:\Program Files\formZ 8\formZ 8.5 Pro 64\formZ.exe

Signature du probleme
Nom d'evÈnement du probleme:    APPCRASH
Nom de líapplication:    formZ.exe
Version de líapplication:    8.5.3.0
Horodatage de líapplication:    58dab93b
Nom du module par dÈfaut:    nvoglv64.DLL
Version du module par dÈfaut:    23.21.13.9135
Horodateur du module par dÈfaut:    5ab581c4
Code de líexception:    40000015
DÈcalage de líexception:    0000000000fd6b7f
Version du systËme:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Identificateur de paramËtres rÈgionaux:    1036
Information supplÈmentaire n°1:    7bfd
Information supplÈmentaire n°2:    7bfd456edaadeed0a93216e5d21cf18d
Information supplÈmentaire n°3:    b6b7
Information supplÈmentaire n° 4:    b6b7998292f7c9cee1c3e8e5cb13b8fd

Fichiers qui aident ‡ dÈcrire le problËme
AppCompat.txt
WERInternalMetadata.xml
minidump.mdmp
WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

I re-installed FZ - still crashing at end of saves and sometimes just zoomng in. File about 1,3 Gigs, with a fair amount of Components - using mostly embedded because  me sense is that the embedded system is simple than both embedded and external file... ugh. losing valuable time with these crashes.  Long saving time as well...

I tried to clean install earlier version of Nvidia driver and still get the crashes. Sometimes i eek through a few saves without crashing, but then it happens again.

Peter

Sorry you are having problems - you are probably right about formZ support being more active as they sell a separate annual support plan called 'the Family Plan' as you only get 4 months from purchase support.

Also it is the 'Memorial Day long weekend holiday'....

I did see that you are using a very old OS Win 7 ??? ( going dead soon ) and I think v8.5.3 is not the latest v8.5. I'd recommend looking at v8.6.2 (http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_86_Pro.html) as they have improved Open GL support. You can run both versions.

Rob

Hi Smarttec,

thanks a lot for your help.

I guess doing BOTH is a lot to ask.  Back in the day they had the family plan but Paul Helm was always there to answer..Has support changed that policy which everyone recognizes as one of the great aspects of FormZ?

Jumping to Windows 10 has been long put off, but may be needed.  I just thought that maybe it was an graphics driver issue, or something.

If they are busy  fixing the component system, I would understand, since there is a lot to be done there...

Best-

Peter

on Support.... - I think Paul was a unique talent that had a long term knowledge that may now be hard to replicate internally. Internally they have just had to replace the rendering capacity that was RenderZone with V-Ray; a major project that took some time and they are now back on track with v9 development. Who knows what will happen with the 'components' there certainly has been a lot of 'noise' rightly about it's functionality (sic) but we can only hope the new world of v9 ( sooner than later ) includes a whole new direction - it needs it to keep up!

They don't have a big development team and the more sales they get from new users to buy software, updates and support the better to fund more staff...

... by the way keeping the formZ up to date ie. 8.6.2 now and its increments is best to check new functionality or fixes. Yep time to change Windows 7 it goes back to 2013 - time to get used to the new world.

Rob

Smarttec,

The current model has a lot of components (but everything is relative, right?)

It seems that as I lighten it up, the crash happens less (or is it that I got rid of some problem objects??) In any case, I was having two types of crashes - a sudden quit with the Save and Debug option, and just a Otal exit with the Nvidia Kernel mode blah blah blah popping up.

Under steep deadline and cannot see myself buying a graphics card today in the hope it will fix this, I suppose I could , but there are many other possible sources f r the problem, so not sure..WIN7 outdated? Was on FZ 8.5.0 and now on 8.6.2- (could help?),  other??

thanks for responding.

Peter

Spacer, 

A 1.3gb file is quite large.  Try selecting all of your objects and in the Pick Tool Options Attributes change your display resolution to 0% or set the Scheme to Default Low.

Also, large texture maps could cause your file to slow down.  I try to keep these less than 10mb.

Hi fellows,

I managed to get my file size to about 280 Mb, and of course it's a lot better. A few Components were set way too high in Resolution. I reduced them and then facetted just to be sure.

Thanks to all.

Peter

Glad you got it worked out...  

I think your file was just MUCH too large for your hardware.  Along with Windows 7, that GTX 560 is really, really old at this point.  If you do buy a new GPU, I would suggest a minimum of a GTX 1070 with 8gb of VRAM.  That still may not be enough if you are using tons of high quality texture maps.  It would be nice if FormZ would give you a message if you are running out of VRAM, but even without it, as a 3D designer, you should be able to optimize your maps and other settings to work within the limits of your hardware.  It's a balancing act we all have to do when working with large files, even with brand new high end workstations.

Components are too buggy to use at this point, and should be abandoned until we get a solid upgrade there.  It is what it is, and if you continue to use them, you ARE going to have problems.  As a workaround, I have a large file of 'parts' that I simply copy and paste from for things that could be used like components.  It works fine, and having upgraded to a new computer with 32gb RAM and 11gb VRAM (GTX 1080ti) really helped to improve the speed of my workflow.

Also, the most recent FormZ 8.6.2, was optimized for Windows 10.  I think if you are still having issues, you should certainly update to the newest version.  It's not an expensive upgrade if you know where to buy from.  (SCDKey.com is a great resource that has worked for us for buying Windows 10 licenses)

Cheers.

Super thanks Justin!

But just to harp on the Components issue- if you are in the business of representing architecture, repeating elements are essential to your work!e. How can FormZ allow this aspect of it's software to be buggy??? that is beyond me;Ffriends are sending me links to forums which diss FormZ. I try to defend my choice, but it's getting harder and harder. Once i learn Rhino (for teaching purposes), I may be tempted to end the pain...

Otherwise, Win 10 here I come.

Peter

Super thanks Justin!

But just to harp on the Components issue- if you are in the business of representing architecture, repeating elements are essential to your work!e. How can FormZ allow this aspect of it's software to be buggy??? that is beyond me;Ffriends are sending me links to forums which diss FormZ. I try to defend my choice, but it's getting harder and harder. Once i learn Rhino (for teaching purposes), I may be tempted to end the pain...

Otherwise, Win 10 here I come.

Peter

I am using both FormZ and Rhino (and Archicad) on Mac. FormZ is the fastest modeller on

market but I started to "program" macros for Rhino and now I have for example DubFaceborder, Offset, Split Face in same command. It is almost same with insert option in FormZ.

When you want to show your basic ideas quickly nothing beats FormZ and Vray. When you are modelling complex architectural projects using blocks, Rhino is best. But I believe FormZ 9 will challenge Rhino again.

Archived