AutoDesSys

formZ needs a SketchUp Exporter

snow

this shouldn't even be a question.

SketchUp is arguably the most widely used 3D software.  Handcuffing formZ users to using unreliable exporting techniques to put models in SketchUp is a bad business decision for all parties involved. 

Example:  I was asked by a client to have the SKP version of a file that has already been rendered out.  So now I'm spending X amount of time trying to figure out how to efficiently get my formZ model into SKP.  The only format I can work with for geometry and textures is 3DS (I don't have FBX or OBJ plugins, and neither does the client).  Of course not all the textures are translating properly and trying to edit these textures in SKP is a nightmare with all the 3DS facets.  So now I'm back in formZ trying to "fix" the textures so they work properly from 3DS to SKP which equals wasted time and wasted money.

The best route I have found so far is via OBJ (the simlab plugin is $80 - seems like $ well spent...?)

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugins/OBJ_Importer_For_Sketchup-main.aspx

That said the texture mapping is not ideal, I have to go through each material in SKP and increase the mapping size by a factor of 12. Once I change that, objects generally end up mapped correctly. Maybe changing the FormZ units prior to export could fix that but I haven't experimented with it enough yet.

That said, a more direct export would certainly be welcome.

I've been asking for this for years. FormZ should have been the Sketchup of our world, years and years ago. But certain facts are routinely missed by whoever is driving that boat.

Even today, as you suggest... Having a useful Sketchup exporter would drive tons of advanced Sketchup users to model everything in FormZ. Then they'd probably document everything in Sketchup's layout because that would work great. Or they'd use the models for some other purpose in Sketchup's endlessly expanding and useful plugin ecosystem. Creating a seamless workflow for this would be a smart bet. Forget other modeling features for now. Focus on stability and workflow. That would increase the FormZ user base which would finance future modeling or layout developments. Yet, decade after decade, new modeling systems appear that quietly and confidently steal FormZ's user base. And FormZ remains a super innovative, but not so useful modeling system.

100% agree.  with all of this.

I've been asking for this for years. FormZ should have been the Sketchup of our world, years and years ago. But certain facts are routinely missed by whoever is driving that boat.

Even today, as you suggest... Having a useful Sketchup exporter would drive tons of advanced Sketchup users to model everything in FormZ. Then they'd probably document everything in Sketchup's layout because that would work great. Or they'd use the models for some other purpose in Sketchup's endlessly expanding and useful plugin ecosystem. Creating a seamless workflow for this would be a smart bet. Forget other modeling features for now. Focus on stability and workflow. That would increase the FormZ user base which would finance future modeling or layout developments. Yet, decade after decade, new modeling systems appear that quietly and confidently steal FormZ's user base. And FormZ remains a super innovative, but not so useful modeling system.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more! 

How I usually deal with this is via DAE. But in order for ketchup to get layer information, I have to export one layer at the time! Come on! This shouldn't have to happen! Needless to say, I have to use the expert triangulation on all objects prior to exporting and fixing any geometry, otherwise sketchup will read and error and not import.

Archived