AutoDesSys

offset segment not working with a BONUS snaps not working properly

snow

there are some days where formZ is amazing, and other days where there are a ton of little things that do not work.  unfortunately, this is one THOSE days.

attached is a file of a shelf with some guides.  I want to use the OFFSET SEGMENT tool with extend to boundary and insert checked so I can build a 1" thick wall from the top surface.  this will not work.  the offset segment is disappearing into the model.  it will only work without the two tool options checked, but this isn't achieving my desired result.

SO then I'm like "okay, I'll just create a cube on that surface with insert on and I can snap to this guide where it interacts the model"

then formZ is like " lol good luck trying to snap to that intersection."

COME ON.

the top surface is planar and strangely if you derive the top face, then the above processes work  :wacko:

SHELF.fmz.zip

I got it to work just fine by converting your shelf unit to a faceted model.  If you see what happens to the front face of your shelf you can see that there is some serious triangulation happening on conversion.  Not sure why Form.z can't adapt to use the smooth model but that is just they way it goes sometimes.  Some programs are more forgiving with their geometry, and others not so much. 

Hi Andrew, 

I got it to work after triangulating the model, too.  The odd part is that the top surface doesn't have any facets, yet that is the surface that is affected?  If this is an ACIS problem, perhaps it's time for ADS to drop ACIS for another smooth modeling translator.  Or maybe there is just a problem between formZ and ACIS that needs to be ironed out.  I always want to promote formZ to coworkers and others in my field, but issues like this prevent me from giving it too much praise. 

Hello Snow.

I believe top surface of your shelve is not quite flat. I drawn a cube on the top of it, moved it down by a little and boolean subtracted it from your shelve. After that Offset Tool works well.

Best,

Anton.

post-46-0-20605500-1523628549_thumb.png

Yes, I can confirm what Anton says... after extend some inches (not move) the top and bottom faces and slice the object with two lines the offset segment with insert work well on both.

Marcelo

Lots of tools in FormZ do this. Ahtoh's method is the best way to regain planar surfaces that have drifted a little after a previous modelling operation. I often use the ruled loft to connect areas similar to the way I would in a polygon modeller. Always I need to skim the faces with a boolean and use push/pull to put the face back to where it belongs. FormZ could really do with a tolerance slider for a lot of operations, or a general preference to correct planar surfaces that deviate by a tiny amount.

Archived