AutoDesSys

Extend parallel to edge?

-andrew-

Hi,

I have a building with a shed roof. I'd like to place a beam between two columns a few inches below the underside of the roof underside plane.

I know there are a few ways of doing this, but would like to extend from one column parallel to the roof edge all the way to the other column.

post-9294-0-31777700-1522607132_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to do this? Any other suggestions?

(Image attached)

thanks!

hi Andrew,

draw a rectangle with "Insert" active onto the first column.

then with the "Reshape" tool extend the rectangle to the second column.

thats it.

vva

If it was me, I would just use the 3d wall tool with justification set to centre and the width set to whatever you want the thickness of the beam to be.

Draw the line snapping to the centre edge of the column to the other centre edge, type in the height and move it up or down to where ever you want.

This is one way and VVA's is another but we all have our preferred methods. That's the great thing about FormZ, there is a lot of choice.

Des

Thanks all - 

Quick note though - pulling the rectangle out of the first column extends it perpendicular to the column... not parallel to the roof edge.

I don't want to eyeball it, either - I know I can manually reshape, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Oh,

didn't realise from the sketch that the columns were different heights, (sloped roof between columns) -my bad- ....Same quick methods can be used, but push/pull from roof face rather than column. (so perpendicular to roof face) Then just trim length of beam to intersect columns..... (you could do all of this by input dimensions if you wanted)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Oh,

didn't realise from the sketch that the columns were different heights, (sloped roof between columns) -my bad- ....Same quick methods can be used, but push/pull from roof face rather than column. (so perpendicular to roof face) Then just trim length of beam to intersect columns..... (you could do all of this by input dimensions if you wanted)

Martin

The catch is that I don't want the beam against the roof.

This is the perfect case to use the Guide tool.

I would simply snap a guide to the segment you want to be parallel (the roof) and then move it to an appropriate location on the column, or you can draw the new beam against the roof and them move the beam later, there's lots of choices with the flexibility in FormZ.  Then draw a line using the 3d wall tool with the new beam thickness from one column to the other.  Define a height.  Now you'll just need to adjust/extend the ends to penetrate the column and subtract the overlap if you like clean geometry.  It's also easy to adjust your new beam thickness and height, while keeping everything parallel and tight.

post-219-0-76926800-1523983181_thumb.jpg

post-219-0-95114200-1523983190_thumb.jpg

parallel.zip

Good solution from Justin.... andrew.... no catch, just to illustrate that there's lots of choices with the flexibility in FormZ... Here's the solution with the method I'd suggested.

Created beam profile by dragging cord lines from roof....Just dropped the beam from the roof.... picked bottom face of beam and dragged up to level required to provide gap (creating 2nd object)....deleted 1st beam object. ...viola

post-42-0-64025400-1524002545_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-08514100-1524002548_thumb.jpg

Archived