AutoDesSys

8550U vs 7500U Clock Speed vs Core Count

Anwar

What would be a better processor for modeling in formZ, an i7-8550U (1.8GHz 4 core/8 thread) or i7-7500U (2.7GHz 2 core/4 thread)?  The clock speed on the 8550 goes into turbo mode faster than the 7500 but I don't know that formZ will cause the CPU to go turbo, or sustain that speed in a very long running operation.  Thoughts?  What matters most for modelling - core count or clock speed?

I have recently purchased a custom rig built around AMD’s 16 core Treadripper processor. That one ,achine has put into retirement the fout i7 quad core machines I used to have to daisy chain for Maxwell Render.

Speed is great, but the more cores you have, when it comes to rendering anyways, makes a huge difference.

And if you’re building a rig from scratch, I suggest you take a look at AMD’s Threadripper processors. The price point compared to Intel makes this series of processors a serious competitor.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, for rendering I agree the Threadripper is probably the best processor, and I may eventually get one.  I'm talking here about the processor for a ultrabook that I use to model, not a primary machine I would use for rendering.

Thanks,

Anwar

I really HATE Intel's labeling these days.  It's very confusing for people unfamiliar with modern hardware tech. 

That 8th generation i7-8550U is going to be a MUCH better bet.  It has a Turbo Frequency of 4.00 ghz, which will be stellar for all modeling tasks.  Combine that with 4c/8t, for decent RenderZone capabilities.  Still wouldn't want to use a laptop without a dedicated GPU if you are going to do any Shaded texturing at all.  But for general modeling, this should be fine.

The 2 core i7s are a joke and should be avoided...

Archived