Jump to content
AutoDesSys Forums
AHDD Designer

Decals are not rendered

Recommended Posts

The decal tool in formZ is RenderZone specific.  You can bake your texture (Render Texture tool) but it probably won't give you the exact result you're trying to achieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pleased to read that in Vray 5 decals are to be rendered.
Although I have activated the checkbox, no decal appears in the image.
The online manual has no corresponding entry.
Who can help me out?

MacOS Mojave

Edited by AHDD Designer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AHDD Designer said:

I was pleased to read that in Vray 5 decals are to be rendered.
Although I have activated the checkbox, no decal appears in the image.
The online manual has no corresponding entry.
Who can help me out?

MacOS Mojave

Please try the following:

-Disable Decals

-Click the Clean button in the VRay Settings palette

-Render (just enough to get it to start, you don't need to finish the rendering)

-Enable Decals

-Render

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick suggestion.
I did this exactly this way but it did not lead to any solution.
See screenshots.

640725187_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-18um17_43.35Kopie.thumb.jpg.b8cedcc1f806f1d41f908d77deb700d9.jpg

1830008451_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-18um17_47.21Kopie.thumb.jpg.107e0d081038c048dacee42ac53a2934.jpg

 

Edited by AHDD Designer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AHDD Designer said:

Thanks for the quick suggestion.
I did this exactly this way but it did not lead to any solution.
See screenshots.

640725187_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-18um17_43.35Kopie.thumb.jpg.b8cedcc1f806f1d41f908d77deb700d9.jpg

1830008451_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-18um17_47.21Kopie.thumb.jpg.107e0d081038c048dacee42ac53a2934.jpg

 

Can you try again, but this time just click the Clean button, then render?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The decal tool is activated, as you can see on the screenshot by the hint at the red arrow.
You can also see a Renderzone rendering in the background, in which the decal appears.

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.1202f784851568ce2ade101efb42a3d7.jpg
 

Edited by AHDD Designer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I could not find any further information in the Vray 5 manual, I called up this Youtube video.
In it you can learn that it seems to be a Vray own decal tool and not this one from FormZ.

But where can I find this tool?
It is not in the Vray tool palette and I cannot find it in the tool manager.

Also, I would like to know how to access the Chaos Cosmos to download materials?


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can load an image into the opacity area of your material to make an equivalent cut area around your logo or text to create a decal function.

----

The Chaos Cosmos objects are all implemented in different ways on each different 3d environment as far as I know -  for example both Maya and sketchup definitely have different ways to insert the chaos content. I have't yet seen an option anywhere for inserting the objects like a component or a proxy in FormZ VRay while running the beta.  They are usually in the VRay toolbar. So they may or may not be in the development future options for FormZ VRay.

The faq says...

Quote

 

What format are the Cosmos assets?
 

Each Chaos product imports Cosmos assets as best suits their users. In the case of 3ds Max and Maya, an imported Cosmos asset is a V-Ray Proxy object that uses native V-Ray materials. 

In SketchUp and Rhino, the Cosmos asset begins as a “black box” reference that can be merged to become a V-Ray Proxy for editing. In Revit, Cosmos assets import as lightweight native Revit families and can also be used to replace other objects. In Cinema 4D, a Cosmos asset imports as an "Object" with all materials applied. To import the full geometry in the scene, the Cosmos object needs to be made "editable". 

In Chaos Vantage, the Cosmos asset will be a reference that is always extracted from the local Cosmos repository.

 

 

 

https://www.chaosgroup.com/cosmos#faq

and the user guide says...

Quote

To open the Chaos Cosmos library, click on the Chaos Cosmos icon in the host platform you use. It can be found in the V-Ray toolbar. For more information regarding the available host platforms, see Chaos Cosmos in Host Platforms section below.

https://docs.chaos.com/display/COSMOS/Installing+and+Using+Chaos+Cosmos+Browser

Personally I'd like see access to the Chaos scans product in FormZ so we can get ready prepped high quality materials.  I'd be happy to add that to a formZ VRay sub. And I think that would be way easier to implement than inserting the cosmos objects.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/scans

Edited by nano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, nano said:

You can load an image into the opacity area of your material to make an equivalent cut area around your logo or text to create a decal function.

This explanation is not an answer to my question/problem.
I am talking about «decals» and not «materials with transparent parts».
How do you want to apply with your suggestion for example a colorful logo on a spherical, metallic surface?
Anyway, in the tutorial video of Chaosgroup this possibility is shown differently…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, nano said:

https://www.chaosgroup.com/cosmos#faq

and the user guide says...

Quote

To open the Chaos Cosmos library, click on the Chaos Cosmos icon in the host platform you use. It can be found in the V-Ray toolbar. For more information regarding the available host platforms, see Chaos Cosmos in Host Platforms section below.

https://docs.chaos.com/display/COSMOS/Installing+and+Using+Chaos+Cosmos+Browser

Personally I'd like see access to the Chaos scans product in FormZ so we can get ready prepped high quality materials.  I'd be happy to add that to a formZ VRay sub. And I think that would be way easier to implement than inserting the cosmos objects.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/scans

 

 

Hu... I understand unfortunately nothing at all.
In the YouTube clip it is shown differently - much simpler...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2021 at 1:44 AM, AHDD Designer said:

This explanation is not an answer to my question/problem.
I am talking about «decals» and not «materials with transparent parts».
How do you want to apply with your suggestion for example a colorful logo on a spherical, metallic surface?
Anyway, in the tutorial video of Chaosgroup this possibility is shown differently…

 

Hello,

If you offset and trim a surface slightly above your object, you can use a PNG transparency map to achieve a nice Decal look, even with a logo on a spherical, metallic surface:

image.thumb.png.0902d24ae4d677774728c7138eee3d1c.png

image.thumb.png.df88fae42692b301f86557bdb489ec56.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some users get enamored with certain features from Renderzone, and want other renderers to have the same exact feature. I think the takeaway is to understand how the tool works, and what it does exactly, and get the same results from other tools. I use billboard tool all the time to get this decal effect. It works great on flat surfaces. But if your surface isn't flat, then you can simply follow Justin's steps.

You can offset a very small distance, and even turn off the shadows on the object properties, so that it looks like something was painted on wall, for instance, if that's what you're after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, allanjl said:

I think some users get enamored with certain features from Renderzone, and want other renderers to have the same exact feature. I think the takeaway is to understand how the tool works, and what it does exactly, and get the same results from other tools. I use billboard tool all the time to get this decal effect. It works great on flat surfaces. But if your surface isn't flat, then you can simply follow Justin's steps.

You can offset a very small distance, and even turn off the shadows on the object properties, so that it looks like something was painted on wall, for instance, if that's what you're after.

Actually, I think some people just want formZ to do what it says on the label ....

Quote

V-Ray 5 for form•Z is a major update to V-Ray 3 for form•Z. This double update includes all of the features of V-Ray 4 (aka V-Ray Next) and the features of V-Ray 5. In addition to significant improvements in performance, this version includes: an improved Frame Buffer; Light Mix post rendering lighting adjustments; support for nVidia RTX hardware raytracing; Adaptive Dome Light; improved material editing; enhanced settings palette; and support for decals.

Notice, the last 4 words? ... offsetting an object with an applied transparency...is not support for decals. Or am I missing something? ...I have NOT updated to formZ 9 yet. I will certainly not be updating to V-Ray 5 ...If it's still lacking what the PR states it has ... Is decal support working?? ..No work around... Does it work?

Some clarity, would be nice before I splurge on double the cost of a formZ update... for a V-Ray 'update'

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Decals should be working in V-Ray 5 for FormZ. I'm sure they are working on getting it fixed as it was working in a previous build. V-Ray 5 is a substantial upgrade and worth every penny even without Decals IMHO. 

I was merely providing an alternative to Decals that is easier to use since Shaded display modes will also show it.  I use Shaded Full a lot in my work, sometimes as conceptual development before moving to full V-Ray renderings and have been frustrated by Decals lack of Shaded (OpenGL) support.  This alternative allows both Shaded Full and V-Ray to be used on the same project with logos applied to various objects.

It's nice to have options isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin. We are just trying to find an alternate solution to your problem and at the same time also showing some insight. But if this is not what you want, then try contacting support directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, allanjl said:

Martin. We are just trying to find an alternate solution to your problem and at the same time also showing some insight. But if this is not what you want, then try contacting support directly.

My problem? ... I already know the solution offered in this thread, as I'm sure most users do. Whilst workarounds are good... The question is, are they or should they be a necessity? ..(For support that is offered as a 'new' option in an 'update')...So, the only reasoned response.. would be. Vray 5 decals support works straight out the box... Or, it doesn't?

Still no clarification, other than 'should be working' ;) 

All the best

Edited by Martin Malinski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×