AutoDesSys

8.6 bugs

AsOne

If AutoDessys just read all of my great ideas, FormZ would be the best modeling tool ever. Some of my ideas are even free and readable in discussion forums!  :P

I can't help but think it all comes down to developmental $$$.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it isn't shrinking.  I shudder to think about switching over the SketchUp or Rhino.  It is true I am met with disbelief when I tell people I use FormZ.  They don't know that they are missing!  

The forums are pretty quiet nowadays. Vray has been a big achievement. However, did the product get too late for the community? 

Software manufacturers have surprised with the desire to combine their programs' ability to collaborate with others. Graphisoft's Archicad and McNeels Rhino with Grasshopper are one of the success stories. Bidirectional Live link system is great between AC and Rhino. FormZ could be one party in this kind of project. The ability to link files is important in such a case.

I actually just posted to the Suggestions forum requesting CAD file referencing capabilities.  100% agree that the ability of import/export and FormZ to communicate with other programs is essential and needs improvement.  I can only speak as an architect, but linking between programs is utterly crucial.  I would rather see FormZ work towards better communication than try and become some a program that thinks it can do it all.  Layout might work for simple projects, but for putting together a full set of architectural construction documents requires something much more robust, IMO.  I would rather FormZ keep progressing in the modeling, visualization, & speed departments rather than trying to become a BIM program or trying to be the program where one can full annotate a set of drawings in.  Leave that stuff to other programs and work on the linking and communication.  The resources required to take on REVIT, ArchiCAD, AECOsim, and Vectorworks would be A LOT.  Even to bring Layout up to par with AutoCAD and Vectorworks would be a monumental leap.  I hope FormZ sticks to its strengths of modeling, visualization (especially now with V-Ray), and speed.  The Archicad-Rhino link sounds intriguing.  Not that I want to switch over, but the idea of two linked products is enticing. 

Layout has been helpful since I can do a one time DWG export from layout of all the essential views I need (plans, elevations, sections, details) at DWG 1:1 scale, set relative to 0,0,0 coordinates.  Vectorworks (which is what I use for 2D drawing production, dimensions, notes, etc...) has a reference option for DWG.  Using Layout is going to solve a lot of my communication issues.  However it only goes one way FormZ to Vectorworks.  Every time I change the floor plan in Vectorworks I have to reimport into FormZ.  Yes it works importing DWG info into FormZ, but the process is not fluid because of the lack of any references.  A reference option would be a HUGE upgrade.  A direct link could be amazing (depending on how it is implemented). 

Support:  Contact Nemetschek and lets get linked up!  Shamless plug since Vectorworks is made by Nemetschek.  It also works on both Mac and PC.

ASONE, you are right. And actually Graphisoft/Archicad is also part of Nemetschek Group.

BIM is already the industry of a few companies. Archicad, Revit and a few other programs have left flexible modeling to others and focused on linking free-form objects to BIM system.

Moreover, BIM takes extreme amount of resources from the machine due to the maintenance of the database. Fluent modeling is often clumsy with these programs. Creative design is not natural with BIM programs. But in production it is imperative.

Agreed.  That is why I'm trying to maximize my use of FormZ through the entire project.  I have worked at several firms where we worked in SketchUp and then also built a BIM model based on the SketchUp.  Problem is the design keeps modifying throughout the project.  There is a constant push/pull between the fast conceptual model and the slow to build and modify but information dense BIM model.  The BIM model was always out of date.  I found the process very frustrating.  Therefore I'm only using a 3D FormZ model through the project.  No BIM for now.  Granted I'm mostly doing single family residential so it isn't too complex and doesn't require integration with consultant models.  As we move forward to BIM being the default I hope FormZ can keep pace.  I hope it does that through linking and communication, not by trying to become a BIM program itself.

Having lots of the buggy problems mentioned in this discussion.   Looked at my version number and saw that it is the buggy one (build 10017).  So went to download page and downloaded latest update.  For some stupid reason the newly updated FZ file will not open???

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Today i spoke with a contractor to build a house I designed. I use the same workflow as you Asone, using FormZ 3D modeller as long as possible in the design and council permission process. I showed him my 3D model and he became very enthusiastic. This because my 3D model will help them in the building planning process. We spoke about BIM too. I do not believe in BIM as it is developed nowadays, because its primary a cost related database. In second mostly modeling in 2,5D. Here i believe FMZ comes in as a very good real 3D modeler. If ADS is focusing on certain issues, like printing in PDF, solve export and import errors and finally make Information Management more useful, then we do not need BIM as it is the way it is today. A good 3D model should be primarily, then the database! ADS has it nearly working! I believe.... but, solve all bugs first!!!

Thanks FZnoob, I have now updated to the latest build.  The problems I was having with version 10017 not repeating.

But I have found that build 10027 takes longer to open a file but once the file is open all is okay.  

Running on iMac 5K, 27 inch late 2015 with 4GHz Intel core i7, high sierra version 10.13.3

Hugo,

We got into this discussion last year but due to time constraints I dropped the ball.

I agree with the points you make above.

One day if ADS could set up a video conference where we could all share our work processes, I would love to participate.

Kim,

I would go a step further. In the past I suggested ADS to share my experiance in 3D modeling, not using it the way 95% of the market does. ADS never reacted on my suggestion in my mail. Not interested???

Anyway, I am willing to come to the USA to meet users and discuss the future of FMZ with ADS. Lets say a small conference about FMZ.

.... What do you users and ADS think of that?

An interesting idea.  The logistics may be a problem as users are spread around the globe. Maybe ADS can hold I at their headquarters  :) thus keeping costs down.  If you do as suggested by Justin, hold it with an Architectural conference, you will attract mostly architects.  I think FZ is used more widely as it is such a powerful 3D modeler.

Typically one might want to hold a conference somewhere that is a vacation destination and has quality transportation:  LA, San Diego, Miami, New York, etc.  No offense Columbus!!!

Alignment with some other trade show or conference would be nice.  Which one is a good question.  

I will throw my hat in the ring to make a presentation on how to use FormZ effectively in architecture.  AIA holds an "Innovation" conference each year and of course they have their annual, more general national conference.

• 2 months later...

Issues I discovered in FmZ 8.6.2 Build 10099 in MacOS 10.13.4 so far:

• The List of Undos just shows one entry. Never the less it is possible, to undo more than one step. But just on after the other.

• The Maxwell Fire Viewport (window) does not match the view of the FmZ Window or Camara (before that was better.)

• Working with single 2d lines is still a hassle: Sometimes it is possible to trim lines, that are not crossing on 2d plane (as intended). Sometimes they do not, and I have to extend them manually.

• Still I can not extend a single line to a surface. (This, and the topic above worked fine in Version 6.)

• The display of the points (in wireframe) slows down the speed dramatically. Sometimes the points are displayed in white (same color as my project background).

• Tool Manger is still faulty. E.g. a lot of Icons have the default PlugIn Icon. Extension Icons can not be placed in a collapsing palette an so on…

Typically one might want to hold a conference somewhere that is a vacation destination and has quality transportation:  LA, San Diego, Miami, New York, etc.  No offense Columbus!!!

Alignment with some other trade show or conference would be nice.  Which one is a good question.  

I will throw my hat in the ring to make a presentation on how to use FormZ effectively in architecture.  AIA holds an "Innovation" conference each year and of course they have their annual, more general national conference.

Much as it's nice to spend time face to face with each other, inevitably not everyone can take the substantial time out or expense to go to a far away conference, I suggest an online conference (recorded for webinar for those who can't make the time). It could be split up into sections to make it more manageable so a different part-day for different user types, eg architectural, manufacturing, design with manufacturing (like with furniture) - that's my field, film sets, gaming, animation, chemistry and/or whatever AD decides to be more appropriate, as they have a more thorough knowledge of the range of uses. There could at the end be a summary conference where AD can present to everyone the results of their feedback from the mini-conferences.

I'm having a few repeating problems that have occurred since recent update

Using MacOSX 10.13.5 - FZ 8.6.2 build 10099 and vray plugin 3.6.1 installed...

The select function only in lofts and sweeps often does not take and requires me to select profiles and paths twice to get it to register.

Also along this the cursor is frequently getting jammed into an enlarged size and then stays that way even when quit out of FormZ.

It may be a system level issue but whatever triggers it is only happening inside FormZ.

Issues I discovered in FmZ 8.6.2 Build 10099 in MacOS 10.13.4 so far:

• When opening an existing Form.Z file, Form.Z makes an Auto-Save in the very first second after fully open the file.

• If prepicking segments with the Pick Tool, the selection is gone when changing over to the Derive Segment Tool.

• The Line Editing Tool is working irregularly. Especially the Trim Tool: Sometimes I can trim lines that do not cross - and sometimes they have to be lengthened manually beforehand.

• Trim/Splt Tool: The option «Construct result by Click Point» does not work properly. It is always the «wrong side»…

• Nurbs by Boundary Tool: It would be great, if the degree could be set in the Tool Options in advance. Now I have to use always the Nurbs Reconstruct Surface Tool after to adjust manually.

• It would be great to have a button nearby the coordinates, to set all values to zero at once.

These points complete my report, which I already posted in this thread on 1. June 2018 @ 02:52 PM

Archived