AutoDesSys

8.6 bugs

AsOne

8.6 build 10017 bugs:

1. Sometimes I cannot pan using hand tool.  I have to rotate the view around a few times and then it pans.

2. Sometimes I cannot use the Move tool.  I select the tool and try to move an object...nothing happens.  Eventually it works, but at times I have had to restart the file.

3. When using Move tool in Continuous Copy mode in Shaded Work display, the copy shows up as a wireframe.  I have to switch to wireframe and back to shaded work for it to show properly as a shaded object.

4. Sometimes I select a tool and the options do not show up in the Tool Options palette (it is blank).  I have to minimize and then reopen the palette box for the options to show.

Mac OS 10.12.6

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I upgraded to 10025 and now I can't even open my files with it!  Program crashes trying to open files that have no issues in 8.5.7 and/or 8.6 build 10017.

I'm reverting to 8.5.7 and will put off using 8.6 and further V-Ray work until there is some stability. 

Snow,

You were correct. The "update" downloads the buggy 10025, while the "full install" downloads "10027".

I sent an email to FZ Support about this, and they committed to do a better job of identifying the builds included in the downloads.

Build 10027 still has the copy issue #3, actually with Continuous Copy and Repeat Copy tools.  There is also a "ghost" object left when moving the original object after copying via Continuous or Repeat copy.  I don't think there is anything there, but visually there is a ghost of the object sitting there.

Images shown are original object.  Then after Continuous Copy.  Then having moved the original object.

post-31-0-10559500-1520196213_thumb.pngpost-31-0-93752800-1520196200_thumb.pngpost-31-0-03181600-1520196222_thumb.png

I'm getting the copy error too.  I think it might be a re-draw or open GL problem rather than a problem with the geometry because changing the view from shaded to wireframe and back to shaded fixes it.

Build 10027 still has the copy issue #3, actually with Continuous Copy and Repeat Copy tools.  There is also a "ghost" object left when moving the original object after copying via Continuous or Repeat copy.  I don't think there is anything there, but visually there is a ghost of the object sitting there.

Images shown are original object.  Then after Continuous Copy.  Then having moved the original object.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-03-04 at 1.41.58 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-03-04 at 1.41.54 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-03-04 at 1.42.17 PM.png

I have had these errors occur with multicopy since v7. They go away if you save, close scene/formZ and reopen.

Whilst the aesthetic overhaul introduced with v7 has made working in formZ much more fluid it has littered formZ with lots of issues.

Working in v6.7.3 is not as snappy as later versions but much more stable than any subsequent release. It still has issues, all of the generator type objects, like Detailed Bolt, Screw and stair tools are prone to crash but everything else is solid. The best part of using older versions is not having to fix all the face normal errors for polygon exports. 

I think enough paid upgrades have passed now for this not to be an issue. Given how much time I have to spend in v6.7.3 I really don't see any point in paying for any further upgrades. Autodessys have a hell of a job to persuade me otherwise.

bbuxton unfortunately you are right. Sketchup and Rhino are the programs that people are using. 

FormZ has a few great tools, best in industry definitely. Push n Pull tool on solids, offset tools with insert option, autogrid with lock option, fast drag n drop method with materials, robust extended tool and ability to copy paste topologies.

I love Rhino but in Rhino you have to use three or four commands to achieve the same than in FormZ. And the handling of materials is clumsy in Rhino.

Sketchup is a different story. Modelling method is annoying, but it is very fast and OpenGL mode is nice with bright colours, crisp shadows and clean lines. And you can export crips views to Illustrator. Now I have to export FZ models to SU if I need nice concept graphics or "toon" rendering.

Now Rhino is my main modelling program because you can link both FZ (step or dwg) and SU (native) files into it as blocks. And the main model will update constantly. The disadvantage is the poor material management in Rhino.

FormZ could easily do all the things mentioned above, but now there is too many bugs, bad export import plugins, UI problems and so on.

Lets hope FormZ 9 has new clean code, nice UI and robust import export plugins.

listing the pros and cons of comparing Sketchup, formZ and Rhino is like a never-ending battle of rock, paper, scissors.  

Thats true. I have them all. There is only one modeler capable of handling true solid object modeling, surface modeling and nurbs: FormZ.

Archived