AutoDesSys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cphfmz

Bug with STEP files

When I want to import an object as a .step-file (to copy into another window) FormZ often crashed when I close it - the file with the object originally imported as .step.

I believe Autodesys relies on a third party translator for STEP, SAT and a few other formats. The PC version of the STEP import/Export module is fairly robust and vastly superior to the Mac version. I had to install VM Fusion and install a PC version of FormZ just so I could export as STEP reliably. I also notice other problems on the Mac version that I don't with the PC, namely with Subdivision modeling; on the Mac I am unable to get a contextual menu for sub-d tools but I can in Windows.

I appreciate that Autodesys supports the Mac, I wish more 3D CAD tools did as well. However this STEP issue is almost a deal breaker since not many people I work with use FormZ I need STEP to send them files and render well in Keyshot (which is another story—and no, OBJ doesn't work well either).

We need better translators on the Mac version of FormZ.

I appreciate that Autodesys supports the Mac, I wish more 3D CAD tools did as well. However this STEP issue is almost a deal breaker since not many people I work with use FormZ I need STEP to send them files and render well in Keyshot (which is another story—and no, OBJ doesn't work well either).

I'd love to see Keyshot support .fmz file imports.  Ideally a live link would be superior, but I'd be thrilled if it would just support the native file type with textures.