AutoDesSys

form•Z 8.6 Update Released

Tech

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, nhanhieulogo said:

Export Image doesn’t carry real world scale but rather it scales relating to how it was shown on screen. Also note that 0,0,0 world axis is not retained either.

I used to deal with this on a daily basis.  How I would get around it was to create a "L" like frame around what I needed to render (always rendered flat objects.  In context, it made sense)  the ends of the L would always extend a little beyond the object in both directions.  Fit the view to the screen and render with an alpha.  In Photoshop, I would punch out the image with the alpha, crop to the alpha selection and then I know the size of the rendering.

I needed to render pretty much to a few pixels in size on a 20' object was typical with about a 30 - 50 PPI.  It works.

Should my explanation suck, I can draft up something more exact.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 7:13 AM, Alan Cooper said:

Could someone give me some advice please? 8.6 is a bit laggy for me since I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7pro to Windows 10pro using Microsoft's Media Tool. The laptop is a 17 inch Dell Precision M6800 i7 32gb ram Nvidia Quadro K4100M Thankyou.

Alan

When I updated my system to 10 the computer became very slow and laggy.  If I remember correctly there were a few issues but the main one that improved things was under the system performance settings.  Go to the lower left corner search window on your home screen type in the word "advanced".   Some options pop up including the one "View Advanced System Settings".  Click on that and go to the advanced tab,  under Performance-Settings you will see the option to change your system settings to "Adjust for best Performance".   The default was "let windows choose" which caused issues for me.  Hope this helps.  If not then you also need to check what your system is loading at startup. 

On 2/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, Andrew West said:

Alan

When I updated my system to 10 the computer became very slow and laggy.  If I remember correctly there were a few issues but the main one that improved things was under the system performance settings.  Go to the lower left corner search window on your home screen type in the word "advanced".   Some options pop up including the one "View Advanced System Settings".  Click on that and go to the advanced tab,  under Performance-Settings you will see the option to change your system settings to "Adjust for best Performance".   The default was "let windows choose" which caused issues for me.  Hope this helps.  If not then you also need to check what your system is loading at startup. 

Thanks Andrew. I had already customised performance settings, but have done as you suggest which switches off a few more features. As you say, start up programs are the next thing to tackle but it is a bit of a minefield, not being sure what everything does. I will also increase priority for FormZ and see if that helps.

Edited by Alan Cooper
addition

If you are still having slowness and lag, I would try these in order:

1- Delete or rename your formZ preferences folder so it rebuilds and you can start anew.  This usually fixes the majority of formZ issues.

2- Uninstall formZ and restart your computer and then Re-Install formZ.  Unfortunately due to the upgrade nature of W10, some programs have issues if not freshly installed.

3- Make sure you have the latest NVIDIA Creator Ready Drivers installed and restart your computer.

Good Luck.

Thank you Justin, this sounds great advice, which I will follow when I get some time and it next starts to really bug me. It has improved a little already, so I will see how things go. I might even upgrade to v9 if AD bring in some of the things on my wanted list.

Edited by Alan Cooper
addition

On 3/3/2020 at 1:31 PM, Chris lund said:

Alan,  

Also, once you have manually reset all of your preferences for Z, make a copy of the pref folder so that you can manually do a swap in the future.

¢£

"God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160."  - Forrest Gump

I've recreated hundreds of preferences the long way and never thought to just create a copy my preferences folder while everything is working correctly.  This makes me wonder if Tech could implement a preferences stabilizing mechanism that does something similar?  Why does the preferences folder even get corrupted?  Can we ever stop the corruption?  I can see it now, we'll all be holding signs chanting "Corrupt not my Preferences!"

But seriously, we're talking about all this in a really old thread that should probably be unpinned like the other old pinned threads...

::grins::

I have made copies along the way, and at times have missed a few changes in between. But far better than having to recreate all of them.

Since the scripting mechanism, python, will be using the OS's libraries for dealing with files... it should be a pretty easy task to script.  Just need to remember to run the script on occasion.   Think I could do this to hold us over, until ADS could create a proper mech.

Good question on why does it get corrupt.  I can only surmise that if changes are being made a lot (updates) that any interruption in that update would pollute the files.

¢£

14 hours ago, Justin Montoya said:

I've recreated hundreds of preferences the long way and never thought to just create a copy my preferences folder while everything is working correctly.  This makes me wonder if Tech could implement a preferences stabilizing mechanism that does something similar?  Why does the preferences folder even get corrupted?  Can we ever stop the corruption?  I can see it now, we'll all be holding signs chanting "Corrupt not my Preferences!"

I've used various 3D software over the years, been on many forums, and I think formZ is the only software that recommends trashing the preferences at the system level to solve problems. 

Snow, 

For roughly a 4 year period, I worked for a fruit stand computer company as a computer tech (AMCT was the official title, or more pompously called a “genius” (which none of us actually were.))

turns out, though nobody else recommends it directly, that was a common technique I employed almost daily for pretty much any app and for the operating system itself.   There were many times where I would strip out the entire library folder and rebuild it manually, reboot, to force a new set, then rebuild the library using a divide and conquer technique. To both put back as much of the functionality as I could for the user, and to narrow down what the problem actually was.  It was a bit more complicated than what the above suggests, or could be any way.

While there were better people at fixing and diagnosing hardware issues, I was the best (at the time) at fixing software issues. The software issues were the tough ones.

Regardless, the point is, yes it is fairly low level, but the most effective way to fix a host of software issues.  And bizarre issues too.  Something I called a “soft lobotomy”.

€£

1 hour ago, jsiggia said:

Sounds like looking for extension conflicts prior to OSX.

Joe

Time period was 2007-2011...   all osX  (osX does seem more stable these days)

Most of the time I would perform the soft lobotomy on the user Library, not the system Library... though that would also happen.

if a User account was really hosed, I would create a new user, and manually populate bits of the old User account into the new.  These were time consuming to be sure.  Not really an encouraged practice by the higher ups, admittedly.  Hence, them turning the Library folders invisible.  An easy workaround, however, and came after my stint there.

iPhoto was one of the worst! (not full soft lobotomies, but had a specific iPhoto lobotomy process)  Ah, the memories...

• 1 year later...