AutoDesSys

Example Images

Andrew West

Ok so here's my latest attempt. I created a new vray material using the vrmateditor, imported my original jpeg image where Diffuse Color is, imported the normals map I created in Photoshop where the Bump map goes. I probably need to adjust my scaling or blur on my normals/bump map but its definitely looking better than before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 1:20 AM, timgarner_10 said:

Ok so here's my latest attempt. I created a new vray material using the vrmateditor, imported my original jpeg image where Diffuse Color is, imported the normals map I created in Photoshop where the Bump map goes. I probably need to adjust my scaling or blur on my normals/bump map but its definitely looking better than before.

sample woodgrain vray material test.jpg

If I`d do it I`d pay attention to the boards ends:

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 16.16.27.png

Otherwise they don`t look natural&

Edited by AHTOH

On 4/4/2019 at 11:00 AM, Justin Montoya said:

You can generate a bump map from the image, or better, generate a normal map in Photoshop using the Filter>3d>Generate Normal Map, adjust height as needed, and save it as a separate JPG.  Then load it in the Bump Map slot.  That should really help give you some depth to the texture.

It looks like you have a low resolution texture loaded, or are rendering at an incredibly high resolution.  Hard to say without your FormZ file and texture map files.  

I would also recommend trying both the GPU rendering engine and the normal non GPU VRay engine.  They are different, and render differently depending on the scene and textures.  Especially Bump maps.  The next version of VRAY called VRay Next is supposed to address much of these shortcomings with the GPU renderer.

Another option to create bump normal maps is to go Filter>Nvidea Tools>Normal Maps Filter.  Works like a charm.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, timgarner_10 said:

rmulley - That looks great!! Any tips/tricks for how realistic you've been able to get the scene? I'm guessing just a great mixture of having realistic materials along with the right lighting.

Just used mainly Vray materials. It's a simple plane light.... and I modelled a simple room around it.

The thing that made the biggest difference I feel though was creating a tiny gap along the bottom of the baseboard. It reality things never fit perfectly and when your eye sees that perfection it looks a bit off. You can barely even see it in the rendering but it's there.

4 hours ago, johnalexander1571 said:

Hi Richard,

That trick at the bottom of the baseboard is sheer genius! I'll be doing that from now on!

John A

I did the same with the cabinet and plant pot too.... raised them about 1/8" off the ground.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Allan and Tim!

The lights are pretty simple, only five. I put here a printscreen which tells more. Rendering is done by CPU and GPU, quality high. Post work is only some exposure and contrast + sharpening.

The girl is some free 3D model. I have found that the models work better than flat images. 

lights.jpg

I can answer that for you.  When a 3 d person is absolutely necessary I go to either 3D Sky or TurboSquid.  The Sky models are a lot less expensive.  https://3dsky.org/3dmodels/category/zhvie_sushestva?page=3

Really pay attention to the export options on their models to make sure that they are compatible.  I usually use OBJ if available. 

Andrew

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome work everyone! I like all the insight shared on lights & settings used. I need to see what all renderings I'm allowed to share and will post some soon.

Also, I recently just found out that Adobe Stock has 3D models!! Some are free, some are considered premium and you need a subscription to pay for them. I have a premium subscription thru work and downloaded a few to test and they actually look really good. File format is OBJ and when you import into formZ make sure you have the "Import Texture Maps" checked. When you download them they come with the base color map, normals map, roughness map, transparency map, etc. in the folder.

Edited by timgarner_10
added more info