AutoDesSys

Example Images

Andrew West

Just sharing a little of the WIP on the bath scene Andrew and I were both playing with separately.  It's been fun working through more of these VRay features.  I hope the next version of VRay for FormZ gets the new features of VRay Next, which has many more GPU improvements like displacement, environment fog, etc...

Montoya-bathroom-8.effectsResult.jpg

Flakie, I always wonder why when I see exhibit renderings, the lights are always cold. Is it a personal preference or do clients ask for this? Or is it a hassle trying to get lights to look right given the fact that there are no light temperature settings for Vray?

When doing interiors I usually have to do two different lighting schemes.  One which is warm and inviting and has a certain amount of atmosphere to it. This is for my portfolio.   The other is the one the client requests which is cool and every material needs to be perfectly accurate to the material board or sample.  Interior designers are strange that way and not a whole lot of fun to work for.  Material accuracy can be very time consuming.

As for the clothing I think you could experiment with V-ray displacement to see if you can get it to loosen up a bit.  I use that tool a lot now and find it to be much faster and easier than straight modeling.

1 hour ago, allanjl said:

Nice work guys! I always find it challenging when I have to render clothing stores interiors because of the hanging clothes. Rmulley, yours look good!

The shirt is a bit washed out.... was rushing to run off a bunch of different renders. It's just a flat texture map with a transparency. 

2 hours ago, allanjl said:

Flakie, I always wonder why when I see exhibit renderings, the lights are always cold. Is it a personal preference or do clients ask for this? Or is it a hassle trying to get lights to look right given the fact that there are no light temperature settings for Vray?

Most exhibit lighting is LED or halogen which run cold. Even the show halls lights are now LEDs which also run on the cool side. I only added warmer lighting if i have incondesance  lighting within the space or a lighting rig that the client has requested.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 2:34 AM, Jaakko said:

rmulley

Thanks for your comment. :)

Your cabinet is very intriguing. I'd really like to know what is in it.

It's a marijuana growing cabinet. Very legal and very cool in Canada now :)

FormZ and Vray has been a massive part of it's development, still fine tuning things but I'm pretty pumped about it.

One difference I see in your retail display is the lack of illumination on the etched lines in the glass.  First off how did you do the etched lines and do you think there is a way to illuminate them similar to the finished product?  Glass is always a bugger to deal with and Vray glass is no exception.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all!

Quick question as I'm still a little new at Vray. I'm having a little trouble getting my woodgrain to look "realistic". I need to use a  particular woodgrain laminate from either the formica or wilsonart website (forget at the moment where I got it from). But just bringing in the image map and setting it as a vray material I can only do so much as far as reflection, glossiness, etc. I have no idea how to create a new vray material, only use the stock materials - which won't work in my case as I need to use this particular laminate color. I'm guessing I need to create a new vray material & import the image map & create all the other maps for the reflection, woodgrain bump texture, etc? I've attached a sample rendering of how bad the woodgrain looks & also the image map of the woodgrain I'm using.

Thanks in advance!!!

BBY US 4x4 Endcap New Products Q2 2019 C view 3.pdf

Formica Oiled Legno 8846-58 matte finish lightened.jpg

something like this ?

I didn't really do anything differently. Regular texture map you posted, bit of reflection and a bit of glossiness. Not sure why it looks so different to your image.

One thing I have issues with though is bump mapping.... it just seems to make the texture a lot brighter for me. 

Laminate Test.jpg

something like this ?

I didn't really do anything differently. Regular texture map you posted, bit of reflection and a bit of glossiness. Not sure why it looks so different to your image.

One thing I have issues with though is bump mapping.... it just seems to make the texture a lot brighter for me. 

You can generate a bump map from the image, or better, generate a normal map in Photoshop using the Filter>3d>Generate Normal Map, adjust height as needed, and save it as a separate JPG.  Then load it in the Bump Map slot.  That should really help give you some depth to the texture.

It looks like you have a low resolution texture loaded, or are rendering at an incredibly high resolution.  Hard to say without your FormZ file and texture map files.  

I would also recommend trying both the GPU rendering engine and the normal non GPU VRay engine.  They are different, and render differently depending on the scene and textures.  Especially Bump maps.  The next version of VRAY called VRay Next is supposed to address much of these shortcomings with the GPU renderer.

Thank you rmulley & Justin!

Yeah I'm not sure why my resolution looks so bad on my wood grain since I'm using the same image I uploaded here. Is it because I bring it into formZ by creating a new material, setting the material type to vray, then I set it the method to plastic, then under diffuse color I select an image file and go find this wood grain jpeg image. My reflection is set about halfway and my glossiness is set to .5. I leave all the other settings alone. Maybe this isn't the correct way to do it at all?

I'll try to generate a bump map or normal map in Photoshop like Justin suggested. Then I'll try to create an actual vray material using the image, bump map & normals map from Photoshop. FYI I've never tried creating a vray material from scratch before using the vrmateditor so not too positive it'll come out right but gotta learn somehow!

Ok so I'm in the vrmateditor tool making this wood grain material. In the Diffuse Color I selected the checkered box and uploaded my original wood grain map. I then scrolled down to Bump and imported my bump map i created using Photoshop. But I don't see anything that says Normals, where do I import my normals image to? Sorry if these are basic questions, I'm still a rookie at creating my own vray materials!

Ok so here's my latest attempt. I created a new vray material using the vrmateditor, imported my original jpeg image where Diffuse Color is, imported the normals map I created in Photoshop where the Bump map goes. I probably need to adjust my scaling or blur on my normals/bump map but its definitely looking better than before.

sample woodgrain vray material test.jpg