AutoDesSys

form·Z 8.6 Pro WIP Download Available! ;)

Tech

After playing a bit with clones i must admit the cloning tool is very intelligent. I can open one window without affecting the other cloned windows, just changing materials or changing elements will affect the clones too.

Okay, finally found the unclone tool, just had to switch to a standard workspace, mine was not updated with the new tools.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it sort of worked...

8.6 up and running.  V-Ray beta working.  I can now open my files.  

However, I have not palette dock.  I have tried restarting (program and cpu).  Hide/unhide palette.  Nowhere to be found.  Which means I still can't use 8.6 as most of my palettes are in the dock. 

Mac OSX 10.12.6

It seems the 8.6 Beta should be called hide and seek. I had a file where my objects got invisible by switching from wireframe to shaded view, no chance to get them back visible, not even reopening FormZ helped (sorry, the file is already deleted).

Another thing was that in the beginning my window was invisible, i had opened a new file but cant see anything; then suddenly i saw a small vertical line next to my layer palette, it was my window and i could finally drag it out to full size.

And the tools manager window sometimes doesn't appear when i open it, and sometimes it suddenly pops up a few seconds after i opened it.

Finally 8.6 doesn't wanted to open my default file, it says it was created with a FormZ version prior to version 5, although it was created with 8.0. 

Issues with Auto-Save and Undo

In Form.Z 8.6 Beta Build 9985 the Auto-Save function is not working anymore.

The interval is set to 10 minutes. The destination folder is a new set custom folder.

But after there will be no Copies…

From time to time, it suddenly stops the Undo function.

I could be, that the corresponding menu point is greyed out. And then there is no way to return…

Both is very sad… :-(

Issues with Auto-Save and Undo

In Form.Z 8.6 Beta Build 9985 the Auto-Save function is not working anymore.

The interval is set to 10 minutes. The destination folder is a new set custom folder.

But after there will be no Copies…

From time to time, it suddenly stops the Undo function.

I could be, that the corresponding menu point is greyed out. And then there is no way to return…

Both is very sad… :-(

i can confirm issues with the auto save function and objects disappearing when making them as reference geometry. worst thing happened to me was when mirroring and scaling a group of components. i continued working on the scene. then after quitting FZ and reloading the scene a few of my components where totally out of place and unscaled. had to go back a few versions of my scene and rebuilt the whole thing without components to be on the safe side. i remember this was an issue sometimes with older versions of FZ 8.x. these bugs are hard to fix because they are not reproducible easily. my feeling is still that the whole components system needs a fix.

Yes, mirror copies of nested groups and components are something I try to avoid as tend to be unreliable in FZ. If you need to do an operation like that while in edit group, I find it best to copy or cut the objects, paste them into a new drawing, perform your operations in the new drawing them copy and paste the result into the original working model.

All,

Sorry for the delay, some overdue answers here:

We have fixed the problem with Autosave. We should have a new 8.6 build available later this week that includes this.

Has anyone experienced the problem with undos stopping when NOT using V-Ray? We fixed a problem in V-ray that was related to undos in materials.

You can use the "Unclone" tool to remove a clone from a clone family.

We have updated the Sketchup translator again. This will also be included in the next build.

ingoerik can you send the default file to sopport@formz.com so we can investigate the issue?

formZ pro 8.6 WIP has been updated. You can download from the same location (http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_work_in_progress.html)

New in build #9991:

- The context menu invoked by right-clicking on objects now has options to Select Clone Families, and make the object's Material, Layer, Line weight or Line Style active.

- Undo/Redo now work properly on OS X 10.13 (High Sierra).
- Auto Save by time interval now works properly.
- SketchUp Materials now Import properly.
- SketchUp 2018 Now supported.
- Export DWG/DXF speed improved.
- Import KMZ files now works properly.
- The Reduce tool no longer stops when encountering an object that can not be reduced (when multiple objects are selected).
- Various stability and performance improvements.

ASONE,

We have had no other reports like this. Can you please send a simple sample file that will not open in 8.6 to support@formz.com so that we can investigate. Are you using OS X or Windows? Have you submitted the crash log?

Thanks!

One  thing I'd like to see back on formZ is the disturb points tool. Will this functionality be back? It was very useful to me back in v. 6. Anyone else agree?

The second thing I'd like to mention is that although I emailed support over 10 days ago about an issue on WIP 8.6 they never responded. The problem I brought to light also occurs on v. 8.5.7. Try this for yourself: Create a cube on the ground plane. Rotate it any angle other than orthogonal. Look at one of its faces in elevation. Turn on ortho. Try drawing with the vector tool. Yeah, it goes nuts. No try moving the cube keeping ortho on vertically. Nuts again. None of this happens if you're looking in 3d though. Can this please fixed? In architecture we like to draw straight lines using ortho a lot, especially in elevation projection views.

• 2 weeks later...

Using FormZ 8.6.0 Build 9995 and V-Ray 3.6.0.2 I would like to say,

that it is getting better and better, but:

If there are already some V-Ray Materials defined, Form.Z crashes very often when create a new one by clicking in the materials palette.

By the way: I would appreciate it, if you would adjust the design of the V-Ray render viewport...

Archived