AutoDesSys

what are the size limits for models?

3dworks

From my understanding there is not a set "size limit" when loading files in the viewer because it varies on the hardware of the iOS device.  For example a 512gb iPad Pro will handle a larger file that a 64gb iPad could not, but this device would be able to handle a file that a 16gb iPad Mini 2 could not handle.

yes that's what i mean: what are the limits for given ipad models? is a file with 1.3 million faces totally far from being handled on an ipad? the demo files rather suggest this is a viewer for logos, small objects only. wish i did not pay 10 EUR for a toy...

I don't believe there is any set formula between the file size and iPad model because there are too many variables to consider.  Two different models with 1.3 million faces will likely have two very different file sizes, accommodating for textures, lights, clipping planes, etc.  

Also, since there isn't any dedicated RAM in any iPad so the size of the file depends on exactly how much room is available on the iPad.  An empty 64gb will open larger files than a 16gb iPad with 1gb free because it has more space to allocate for "memory."

Not sure if this helps but I just opened a 130mb file on an iPhone 6S with ~10gb storage available (running iOS 11.1) without any issues.

I don't believe there is any set formula between the file size and iPad model because there are too many variables to consider.  Two different models with 1.3 million faces will likely have two very different file sizes, accommodating for textures, lights, clipping planes, etc.  

Also, since there isn't any dedicated RAM in any iPad so the size of the file depends on exactly how much room is available on the iPad.  An empty 64gb will open larger files than a 16gb iPad with 1gb free because it has more space to allocate for "memory."

Not sure if this helps but I just opened a 130mb file on an iPhone 6S with ~10gb storage available (running iOS 11.1) without any issues.

sounds good, as my file was even smaller than that. maybe other issues made it crash. i don't know if the developers get log files and crash reports automatically from the app. i will try again with other files as soon as i have more time - but the first impact was: application just quits, no error report, nothing.

it could be a texture or a smooth object that isn't rebuilding properly.  try opening the file in the viewer without textures and make sure all objects in the file are facetted.  I think tech once said in v9 there will be an option to "save for viewer..." option which will help reduce/omit any issues in the file.  something to look forward to! 

The constraining factor for the iPad viewer is the amount of onboard RAM. Apple does not discuss this much but is a huge factor for apps like formZ which can use a lot of memory when it comes to larger textures and complex geometry. iOS is not a true virtual memory system like OS X so memory to an app is not virtually unlimited. The RAM is shared between the active app, the os and the video driver and screen display. 

When an app uses too much memory it iOS just shuts it down (which is why it appears to crash). Unfortunately its not possible to determine when the limit will be hit. Most iOS apps have a fixed memory requirement, but the formZ Viewer will consume more memory proportional to the size of the textures and complexity of the geometry.

We cache a lot off to the flash storage, but for the models to render in GL (ES), at some point we must have most of the model and textures in RAM.

https://everyipad.com is a site that lists all the technical specs for iPad and iPhone that even Apple does not disclose. You can use this to see the amount of RAM on your device. The iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM which makes it the most capable for displaying large models

Archived