AutoDesSys

Nvidia Quadro K6000 question with form z

ariel

Hi there friends,

I can't seem to find a definite simple answer re what would be better in terms of casual formz modeling work, and in terms of maxwell, gpu render?

what card should i buy? Nvidia Quadro k6000 or would gtx1080 Ti would do a better job in a fragment of the price?

all website comparison charts do not answer this simple question!

and if gtx 1080 Ti really get better benchmark scores in many websites charts, then what would be the logic of spending that much money on a professional card?

Thanks !!

Ariel

I think I can help give you some direction.  From my experience the bigger the model and more complex the geometry the more you need a better graphics card (in Form.z).  When my models get huge moving the view and model around gets slower and more cumbersome.  I managed in the past by constantly turning off layers and trying to keep things organized.  Now that I have a better card it is a lot easier.  For this matter a Nvidia gtx 1080 Ti is more than adequate.  Now for the matter of Maxwell:  When they announced that they introduced GPU rendering in their latest build I got very excited since speed is always an issue.  I went out and paid almost $700 for the upgrade to their software and spent another $900 on a better graphics card.  It didn't work.  It was only through a lot of trial and error that we discovered that the GPU engine was limited to a very low resolution in Maxwell.  Almost completely useless except for quick test renders of simple objects.  However, I have great hopes that some day they will fix this issue and make Maxwell a much better (faster) solution.  At that point hopefully my new graphics card will be adequate for the job. 

• 3 weeks later...

The rule of thumb for GPU renderers is firstly nVidia based cards supporting CUDA. The more memory and the more Cores is best and GTX cards although generally for 'gamers' works fine for CAD apps like formZ, Cinema4D etc...  and that in general the Quadro cards are the higher spec cards, meaning they have higher spec components and are meant to run  more reliably in the long term and hence there is a very high cost premium (2 - 3x) the equivalent Quadro card.

I have professionals using GTX 1080Ti cards quite successfully and as fast as Quadro's.

Archived