AutoDesSys

Top Ten FormZ 9 list

AsOne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tweaks

1)When a group is created it should appear above the selected object within the objects panel instead of the bottom (why?) As so a popup to name the newly created group.

2)A 'GROUP SELECTED' option in the objects panel.

3)Being able to assign colours to layers would also be a massive help.

4)A complete overhaul of the components manager and intergration, it's overly complicated and doesn't feel intergrated.

5)A cursor popup to input numerical input for x,y,z movement would improve workflow.

I noticed this thread was started in 2017, and I posted my list one year ago, Chris seemed to like my items so since we're doing reminders, here it is again:

I've removed a couple during the past year.

The first two are pretty much self explanatory and found in many other 3D programs.

Your thoughts are always welcome & thanks for reading.

Joe

UV unwrapping

Symmetry tool

1)  Object Name Visibility in Object Palette

If a layer is hidden, then we should have the option for the objects on that layer to also be hidden in the object palette. The object palette could be greatly reduced in a flash, having only the objects of "visible" layers. A ghosted layer would have its objects names greyed out.

3)  Drop down menu for operand destination layer

(which, like any other, can be hidden, visible or ghosted). This should be on the uppermost level of the program with its current selection always visible (perhaps as part of the “Input Palette”) The menu could have a "delete", and "ghost on current layer". 

4)  Template file Manager

When a new project is opened from a template file, I think the name should be something other than untitled. Perhaps call it "template: file name". Something to indicate what is being loaded without digging into the preferences. Perhaps a file menu item "Open Template File..." An option in the save dialog to "Save as Template File" would be a nice addition.

5)  Change the length of the axis.

Changing the size of the grid has no effect on these. In addition, a small set of axis

in the corner of the modeling window would be a great help.

6) Snap option check box

This was dropped moving to V7, could it return please.

Simple checkbox to match the snap interval with the grid.

Joe,

UV, oh hell yes!

Symmetry, absolutely needed.  Though, I use this in other apps, I do find it sometimes clunky to work with. (if something gets off, you don't necessarily realize it right away)

1, Good Idea!  Would significantly help out things like animation.  Instead of hunting through the whole list. If it isn't an automatic behavior, it should work with Isolate/Reveal as well.

3.  Oh yea!  May be able to be done with a plugin or script.  But would probably work better if integrated directly in.

4. Have been contemplating building this when scripting comes available again.  Though, it would probably be more of a workaround and again would be best integrated.

5.  Hmm, never considered.

6. Script could definitely handle this.  I did build a grid up/grid Down script for 6.x oh so many years ago.  Since some Utility scripts still work, it may give you a crude option.   I will go back and test it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm copying and pasting from a similar discussion from 2016. That's how long I've been asking 🙂

Current 2019 comments are in bold.

I'm sure I could add in new "wants" to make it a full top 10 list, but there's no need cluttering up what is important with extra wishes that are not immediate priorities.

**1. Reinstate the "relative" option for the extend line tool. I'm fervently trying to migrate completely to V8+ but this feature (among a few others) has me going back to 6.7. 

(PLEASE!!! This, and "hidden line" are the only two things left that are hamstringing me and forcing me to hold on to V6.7)

2. It would be nice if there were a way to change a material parameter on multiple materials at once. example: You have 39 objects with different materials assigned them. you want all those materials to be chrome, or constant, or wood, right now you have to spend 20 minutes opening each material and adjusting the parameters. 

5. Give us a more user friendly sweep tool! (This one is a frustrater! 3 out of 10 times I do a sweep does it actually sweep properly. There has been times I have wasted 45 minutes clicking through all the options in the tool pallet trying to get an object to sweep right and I realize the fix was a 30 second open V6 run the sweep, open the new model in V8+ and paste it. Bring back the user friendly sweep of yesteryear and maybe enhance any of its weaknesses but please make it work 100 percent of the time again)

6. keep v6.7 alive and well for those of us who toggle back and forth. Both the old and the new versions seem to have strengths. If v6.7 ever goes away then you reduce the capabilities that are available.... or make sure all the features from early versions are included in the new. Maybe a new packaging and marketing re-release "Form-Z retro! the tools you loved and relied on as a kid" 🙂  (Thank you for doing this FZ. It really helped. There was a time when FZ 6.7 wouldn't run on later operating systems and it had me backed into a corner. Keep FZ 6.7 and the tools I relied on for production or upgrade my OS so I could run Quick Books and bill clients. It was getting close to me going out and buying budget log note pads to do my books)