AutoDesSys

Saddle chair

Jaakko

Hi Jaako,

Have you tried subdivision modelling? You could trace a shape roughly over the saddle, subdivide and tweak from there..

Once you have the desired shape you can convert to nurbs if you like.

I just remembered something. I think in the "subdivision" modeling tutorials, there is one about doing a bicycle seat.

From what I remember, it's not exactly the same as this but it might help you get started with sub-d modeling.

Jaakko,

If you can't get it let me know, and I will try to help you out with a few screenshots.

The only thing that makes it a little difficult is the hollowed portion on the bottom of the seat.

If that were solid it would be a bit easier.

Subdivision definitely the way to go....this just needs a very simple form to start with....simpler the better for a smooth result

I recently had to model this monstrosity for a furniture maker with a client who requested a piece in this 'style'

I initially baulked at the idea (thought it would not be easy) but this was pretty simple to model using subd.....took half an hour !

​Unfortunately I don't have the geometry prior to subd to show but it was very simple

t8wLg4S.jpg

Nice work Pipo! You got the hang of it for sure.

On the seat, what I would do is start with a rectangle.

Inset the bottom face, and push it up to form the hollow.

Then start manipulating the geometry with the standard techniques.

This took me about 20 minutes or so just "eyeballing" it.

It's not perfect but is on the right track.

post-209-0-10940700-1504264245_thumb.jpg

As a work around for lack of symmetry you can use the non uniform scale tool to move points for your lateral symmetry and regular move too for the other axis.

It can be a little tedious but what I used to do in software that didn't have that feature.

This is what I got after an hour. By practicing modelling time would be much less. As said Symmetry tool would be nice or a tool that forces the object to symmetry by click.

Thanks again to all for your advices.  :)

BR

Jaakko

post-104-0-27208900-1504622370_thumb.jpg

You got it Jaakko

kac: Yes I use that method all the time, but at times it is indeed cumbersome.

Another nice feature found in C4D is the ability to select points or faces and hide them.

That way they can't accidentally be selected. It really comes in handy when working on a complicated mesh.

Archived