AutoDesSys

renaming components, better not!

3dworks

there are big issues if you start to rename components by the components manager dialog. try this: create  a component, then copy and move this component 3 times. now make 3 new unique named components with the 'make individual comp' tool. in my case i assign names like comp01, comp02, comp03 and comp04. now try to rename comp01 to comp00, comp02 to comp01 and so on. result will be that renaming will be denied. i also found out that under certain renaming circumstances, components disappear from the project. the component management in FZ is still so full of issues that the best is to avoid any renaming, not very practical if you are relying heavily on components like me. anyone else having these issues?

cheers

markus

That is why I ONLY make user components. Names can be changed in user component folder. You would have to replace the embedded components with the user component. I have never trusted embedded components since symbols were changed in 6.5 & not sure why they were not the programmed same in newer fmz versions.

ah interesting, and i thought the opposite way that user components would create issues! maybe i should try handling them this way then, i never tried before.

VERY SIMPLE. Components are an individual fmz file. I keep them in a folder always naming folder "project name" components in project file In folder I keep needed texture maps. This is much like the old symbols except symbols packaged individual fmz files. Main complaint I always had is that in Symbols you were able to edit material attributes for all globally.  Components you cannot. I always have edited component files outside of project because user & embedded components links are never consistent... if you updated one the other should be updated... I find they are not the same. Reported this many times & wish fmz developers would fix this.

Hi Markus, 

We have tested this and we are having a hard time producing any issues with the Make Individual Component Tool.  Here was out workflow:

• Create an object (a cube) then click on it with the Create Component tool.  "Component 1" is now in the embedded component library.

• Move/Copy this component 3 times so there are four "Component 1" in the project window.

• Select the Make Individual Component tool and click on one of the instances.  Name this instance Alpha.  Click on another, name it Beta.  Click on the other and name it Charlie. Now there are 4 components showing up in the Component Manager (Component 1, Alpha, Beta, and Charlie).

• We right-clicked on each component in the Component Manager and selected "Open [name]" to change something about each object (color, geometry) and saved each one.  

• Right Click on each one again and select "Rename [name]".

• Save, quit, and reopen and all the components are still showing up as expected, with the proper names.

Does this workflow work for you?  Is there something you are doing differently that we missed in your details?

Archived