AutoDesSys

From Formz to a 2d CAD drawing.

sjj

Hi All,

I use formz to concept and design Arcade machine cabinets i just wanted to know if anyone out there has a good workflow/pipeline for getting parts out of formz as a 2d format preferably at a 1:1 scale?

As it stands I'm saving each part as a separate project and then exporting each part as a .dwg file which i then open in Adobe illustrator but i'm getting strange results. 

Anyone have any tips?

post-18363-0-24347100-1497879710_thumb.png

post-18363-0-30551900-1497879724_thumb.png

Yup I've used Layout. The issue i have is that our manufacturing company uses a .dwg file to generate their cutting paths.

Seems the export as illustrator is the way to go and then work out and apply the correct scaling ratio... fingers crossed.

Pobo, 

At the moment there is not a way to directly Export Image smooth objects without the objects converting to facetted.  If you are opening these files in Illustrator, you can select al the objects, join them, and then simplify the path.  We will get this corrected in the future.

Yeah there is a considerable amount of work involved in getting a concept/design out of FormZ and into a usable format for something like a CNC system to use which is a real shame. Formz is great for designing something quick but you loose that advantage down the pipeline.

I have a laser cutter and wanted to zip out some scale models so how do you get a model from FZ into Layout?

I thought there would be some sort of hot link or send to command that would allow you do this.

Ken, 

To get a formZ model into Layout, simply open the Layout app and create a Layout Frame.  Then you can choose the view of your model you would like to have imported, adjust the scale, etc. and then export.  Here is a link to the Webinar that walks through putting a project into formZ Layout: http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/new_layout.html

Archived