AutoDesSys

formZ and DEMs

Anwar

Tech,

I was finally able to locate some DEM files for terrain data on a site I am interested in.  The site is approximately 22,000 feet x 17,000 feet.  When formZ imports this DEM without subsampling and triangulation, the imported data is at 10 foot x 10 foot resolution which creates a surface with 7,480,000 faces.  I tried splitting this surface into two regions with a line and formZ was unable to complete the operation in over 20 hours of CPU time.

Trying again, with the subsampling import option and triangulation, the imported data is at 100 foot x 100 foot resolution which results in a surface with 74,800 faces.  Trying to split this surface into two regions with a straight line takes about 8 minutes of CPU time.

The thing is that tools like ArcGIS can handle terrain data like this in a matter of seconds.  So why does formZ take so long?  What can be done to optimize this?  Is there a way to specify an intermediate subsampling scale, such as 50 foot x 50 foot grids?

Thanks,

Anwar

Hi Tech,

I uploaded the DEM and the JPG I want to underlay beneath it to your FTP site.  I was able to get that underlay at 8192 pixels wide after some time, and that seems like the minimum size needed to trace features to split that surface.  If its possible to speed up working with terrain data like this, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

-Anwar

dem-merged-UTM18N.dem

PG_2014b.jpg

Hi Anwar,

We are still looking into this issue.  It appears that there are some inefficiencies in regards to cutting/splitting large mesh objects.  We are looking to see where this can be improved in the future.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Archived