AutoDesSys

FZ on Mac Book Air?

Spacer

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a new portable computer. After almost 10 years of loyal service my Mac Book Pro 17" is on it's last legs. (If I put in a new screen, it might run another 10 years? I am already in third or fourth HD I replaced myself), but it's a heavy monster by today's standards, and it resembles from the outside the fuselage of a world war II airplane...not very 'pro'...

Mostly I do modelling and rending (Maxwell) on a PC, and post-prod on an iMac I was given recently. that's all fine. But for teaching/travelling I need something I can open FZ files, demonstrate mapping and zip around in Open GL while conntected to a overhead projector - and and maybe even launch a smallish (1200 px) Maxwell render. Possible also to do modelling when travelling..

So portability is premieum (weight) I am therefore considering the Macbook Air13" or the (new) Mac book Pro 13"-

post-9808-0-72418100-1495524463_thumb.png

Pricing is quite different. they weigh about the same, though..

In addition I have been using Dropbox (free version) a lot more since I work from home, school and studio, so if I only have 248 flash drive and pay minimal, I can complete wit 1To of Dropbox space for about 11 USD/month (8,25 euros).

Can anyone weigh in on this question? I'd really appreciate it!

Best-

Peter

Where the Air lacks is in the OpenGL speeds.  it uses the integrated Intel graphics Chipset.  I haven't kept up with all the iterations of MacBooks for a while, but In my opinion, it is best to see if the machine you are looking at uses a specialized graphics chipset such as Nvidea or AMD.

Other that that, It should run fZ especially in standard modeling tasks.     Care of course should be taken with the standard comparisons.  RAM cababilities, Processor speed etc...

Regarding Dropbox, make sure you clean the folder from the computer that has the storage capacity.   As those files within the dropbox folder, are also taking up HD space from ALL computers connected to it.  Paid version or not.

It saves no space what so ever, and to be clear, if you are looking at it across all of your computers, it takes up more space.    Unless you manage it vigorously.   Sorry if this is obvious.

Hi Chris,

Don't apologize for my ignorance!!! I deserve all the advice I ask for.

Thanks for this response, in other words. I just noticed the other post about Mac/PC which goes into other questions in a way I just haven't had time to . I teach more than render, so I need to identify my needs.

Best-Pe

ter

Personally, I wouldn't use a MacBook Air for this kind of professional use.  They were never meant for this kind of heavy lifting... they were marketed (and excelled) as a great "student computer" for internet browsing, research, writing papers, etc.  Also, the MBA has not been updated in years, and given the specs of the MBP and MacBook, the Air will inevitably land on Apple's chopping block.

Also, you mention the size and weight of the MBA as a point of interest, but the new MBP and the MacBooks are both thinner than the MacBook Air. 

I have both in the 2013 version, and the MacBook Air would be ok. That being said, you will miss screen real estate and the macbook pro is zippier. None of the model you are considering have dedicated AMD / NVIDIA graphic, but the MBP got an iris card which is better at open GL . 

So I would definitively go with the MBP - also check NVIDIA thunderbolt Enclosure as an add on to the MBP, you can basically plug an outside NVIDIA card and get very good maxwell gpu rendering when at the office.

Hi Spacer, 

The hardware on the MacBook Air will run formZ, however it will not be as efficient as it would be on a MacBook Pro based on the hardware specs.  Please note this is not a recommendation for one product over the other.

Also, Apple is rumored to reveal a new Macbook/Pro/Air product line on Monday... just an FYI  ;)

Archived