AutoDesSys

modeling hairy light.

Andrew West

Every once in a while I get a request to build something that leaves me a little stumped.  I need to build this hairy light and I could use some advice.  See attached image.  I can build a simple white triangular extrusion and do a volume scatter into a sphere but it leaves me with an enormous amount of geometry (and there are 4 of these).  This is for an interior scene that will be quite large and complicated when finished so I need to try to keep this small.  Any ideas ?  BTW volume scatter is a wonderful but highly quirky tool.  Lots of unexpected results.  It should also be noted that I will be using Maxwell for the final render.

post-227-0-16540200-1493326681_thumb.jpg

Thanks Evan.  That rendered a lot faster than my volume distribution.  What is frustrating is that when I copy your "grass" sphere from your model into mine the grass settings in Maxwell Object Modifier do not copy.  Just the transparent sphere.  I have had this problem with lots of Maxwell materials in the past. 

Hi Evan, Andrew,

In the Maxwell 4 for formZ plugin, applied Maxwell Object Modifiers (such as Grass) will be preserved when objects are pasted between projects.

In Maxwell 3 for formZ plugin, you can save the grass definition from one file, then import it into another using the Grass preset save/load feature. (Of course, this also works in the Maxwell 4 for formZ plugin.)

Archived