AutoDesSys

Beveling / rounding and inside edge

eyeclick

I wasn't too concerned with exactly matching your core shapes, so, don't use mine, but for comparisons...

here is a start.   To make it easier,  do all of your modeling (booleans etc...)  before any rounding.

You may find that there are some cases where you will have to round as you go, but I don't see anything here that would force that on you.  Usually happens to me when I am trying to round up to the limits of the geometry.

cheers!

¢£

post-9803-0-17642400-1492241163_thumb.png

B.fmz.zip

The order in which you round edges is important. In this example, you should round the vertical edges first. Try thinking about it like this: if a marble (the thing that does the rounding) were rolling around the edge you'd want to be rounded, it would need a smooth path to follow, especially when it need to turn a corner. If the corners are sharp, the marble would fall off the track. So work on creating a smooth path ignorer to figure out the sequencing of edges to be rounded first. Maybe this won't make sense at all, but the mental image makes sense to me so I use it when I'm doing stuff like this.

I wasn't too concerned with exactly matching your core shapes, so, don't use mine, but for comparisons...

here is a start.   To make it easier,  do all of your modeling (booleans etc...)  before any rounding.

You may find that there are some cases where you will have to round as you go, but I don't see anything here that would force that on you.  Usually happens to me when I am trying to round up to the limits of the geometry.

cheers!

¢£

Chris,  I never even looked underneath.  I just assumed it was a solid.  I'm still not sure when I can use the Reshape tool versus when I have to use the Extrusion tool.  The exact size doesn't matter as this is from a tutorial to teach creative modelling.  This was another experiment to find out if I could do the same thing in FormZ as modo.  The last time was a fail as I couldn't figure out how to make an equilateral triangle.  All the tools are very different that what I'm used to working with.  I keep looking for the sliders to drag on most of them.

The order in which you round edges is important. In this example, you should round the vertical edges first. Try thinking about it like this: if a marble (the thing that does the rounding) were rolling around the edge you'd want to be rounded, it would need a smooth path to follow, especially when it need to turn a corner. If the corners are sharp, the marble would fall off the track. So work on creating a smooth path ignorer to figure out the sequencing of edges to be rounded first. Maybe this won't make sense at all, but the mental image makes sense to me so I use it when I'm doing stuff like this.

Evan, Thank you for explaining the why of that.  It really does help.  The order of operations is usually the thing that at the end was what went wrong seven steps back. :-)

Chris - Yeah, that was me creating a shape, doing an offset outline, then extruding (as opposed to reshaping???).  I'm used to making a shape and being able to bevel with Inset and Shift from a 2d face both inwards and outwards.  I'll wrap my head around it eventually.  Thanks.

eyeclick, 

Did Chris and Evan's suggestions help?  As Chris notes, there are a number of issues with the object on the left that could be problematic in the modeling process.

For more information about fixing these problem geometries, see this page about the Object Doctor: http://www.formz.com/support/tips/tip91.html

Also, perhaps it would be good practice to know that in formZ you can create right on top of current objects.  You can create the base cube, or reshaped surface, or an extruded surface, it doesn't matter, then you can draw the top cube directly on top of it, Union them together, and then make the rounded edge.  Does that help?

Hi eyeclick, 

If you are new to the software, have you watched any of the tutorial videos or webinars?  Some of these my prove to be very helpful when you are modeling and exploring all the tools formZ has to offer.

http://www.formz.com/Video/formZ/formz7_ENU/videos_html/Discover_formZ_7_Part_1.html

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinarReplay.html

These are found under the Support tab on our homepage.

Hi Tech,

I have watched all those videos. Every time I watch them, I pick up something I missed the previous times.  My issue has always been, that there is never a video that shows them making a rectangle, reshaping it up into a box, doing other things to it and going back later and find out it's not a solid.  It seems to happen to me all the time.  It always looks so easy in the videos, I get excited to create all these wonderful things and I get errors.  Once I learn this software to an acceptable level, I want to make a video that shows "when this goes wrong, do this".  It's all stuff I'm doing wrong, I understand that.  I still have to figure it out to move forward.

Thank you.

If you can make a quick screen recording of your process that starts out as a rectangular solid, reshape it, and "do other things" that turns it into a surface or some other solid object, please send it to support@formz.com so we can assist you in preventing this from happening.

Archived