AutoDesSys

Edit popup for placed component

DaveVT

I have been having problems when using the very logical and consistent Change Layer tool on ordinary geometry elements in the model. However, when using it to move a component to a different layer than the one it was placed on I get a popup asking if I want to change the component definition and all instances or create a new component. This appears illogical. I am not in the component edit mode. I am only trying to move a component on Layer 2 for instance to layer 5.  this seems very easy and consistent. Is there a way to do this now that I have not found. If not could a change component instance tool be added that would keying edits of all of a components attribute values. For a component instance this would include the component name. Layer placed on, and the transform, rotation, and scale x,y &z values.

I know I can work around this by deleting and placing another instance on the correct layer but resetting all the attribute data when only one is changing is frustrating.

Thank you.

Hi DaveVT, 

Yes, the only way to change the layer on which a Component is placed is by changing the layer in the component file (Update Component option) or to Make New Component.  Make New Component will create a another component that will look like a duplicate, but the layer in this new component will be the same as the desired layer in your main file.

We will see if we can improve on this process for components in the future.  Thanks for your suggestion! 

I think this has to be improved too.

As a kind of a workaround regarding the layers (mentioned above), I name the layers in the components themselves so when they are inserted, that layer is also inserted.

Keeps things tidy from early on.

Archived