AutoDesSys

Imager still not working

AsOne

I just did a clean install of 8.5 Pro (8.5.6 Build 9897).  Imager still does not work under any circumstances.  Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite.

I get the following message trying to export Shaded Full:

post-31-0-77318300-1489100262_thumb.png

Since it doesn't let me export Shaded Full I tried wireframe.  It starts to generate, then crashes.  Every time.  It does not seem limited to one type of rendering.  I also tried Renderzone.  Gave me the same error message.  Also tried just one image instead of a batch.  No luck.  I also restarted my machine after the fresh install.  No luck.  It either gives me that error message or crashes.

I would really love to use Imager again.  Any thoughts?

I'll second the motion for a working, stable Imager.  It was a key part of my workflow for many years, and I too find it unusable.  It doesn't need to be reinvented or given an updated UI, it just needs to work like it used to.

When I do get it working, it generates rendering with artifacts. Sometimes it renders just a piece of an image and then skips all the other views. I have to go and manually render each view, one at a time in formZ.

I have the same setup on my laptop:  Mac OS 10.10.5  and Imager works there as expected.  I can't figure out what is wrong on the other cpu though.  

2011 Macbook Pro, OS 10.10.5 - working without any fresh install of 8.5 required.    

2012 Mac Mini, OS 10.10.5 - not working with fresh install of 8.5 and reboot.  

Personally I would love to see an Imager updated UI.  I find it not very user friendly.  It could be so much easier to use.  Maybe I will post in the improvements forum though.

Ok I take that back.  Imager is "working" on my laptop, but not correctly.  I try a batch of images and it does render them.  No error message and no crashing.  However, only the first image comes out correct.  All the remaining images are missing most of the objects of the scene and there are also random lines present.

I end up like Andrew, painstakingly rendering each image one by one directly in FormZ.  

To be honest buggy Imager and the lack of a scaled DWG output are the two biggest upgrades I would like to see in version 9.  It is would be such a HUGE improvement in workflow.  

In an ideal world I would be able to batch export, scaled 1:1 DWG line work (via hidden line) with a pixel image behind it.  However, I will take just scaled DWG hidden line "images" as  I don't know if it is technically possible to do scaled 1:1 pixel images or not.   

you mean my system RAM.  I have 16GB.  Should that be enough for a few simple renders?  I opened FormZ today with a few other programs I have typically running as well.  Only 8GB used currently.

The imager is buggy and broken. Its a fact. Its not reliable and does not function as it did back in the 6.x versions. It has nothing to do with memory or gpu or the new GUI. Its simply been neglected code. Its obvious to anyone who has used it for decades. 

Ok,

Try this.

Right click or Ctrl Click on the application (not the doc alias)- for a pop down list, choose  "show package contents"  

Now open  Contents/MacOS/formZ Imager.

This will launch it from the terminal.   Terminal needs to stay open.

I posted a redesigned UI concept for Imager in the Suggestions forum for all those interested.  Comments and further suggestions welcome.  I routinely spit out multiple images with the same settings and being able to use Imager again would be great for FormZ 9.

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew, 

We have tested the Imager on a number of Mac computers running Sierra and we are not having any issues with Imager 8.5.7 launching.  Which version of formZ/Imager are you currently using?  Perhaps it might be best if you download and install a fresh copy of formZ Pro on your machine.  If you do not have the original licensing email at your disposal, please send us an email to support@formz.com and we will send you the download link.

Chris & Andrew, 

Have you tried launching the other applications on your Sierra machines (Layout, Render Server, Render Client)?  

Are these apps not launching, either?

(If they are not launching, but they work via Show Package Contents > Contents > MacOS > _______.exe, then try downloading the 8.5.7 DMG and re-install.)

I just upgraded to the latest iMac running Sierra.  I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 8.5.6 FormZ Pro.  I just ran two Imager tests.  

The first I loaded images while inside Imager.  It rendered the images, but all I got were blank white files.  

The second I clicked "Imager render" from the Views palette within FormZ itself on 6 views.  It rendered the first one correctly.  The rest of the images are missing layers, including the entire layer group "Building".  I only get the layer group called "Site".  So essentially all I get are some trees and plants, but no building.

I will do a full reinstall as a test, but its constant on all machines. The app does not launch. When it was launching about 4 months ago, I was get results like ASONE has detailed. Missing elements in the renderings, half finished rendering saving as a completed render, weird artifacts when rendered in Imager , but a perfectly clean render inside FormZ. Rendering the first image in a list of renders then skipping the rest and saying they were complete. There is something wrong with the code, because others are experiencing the same issues.

This thread/issue has been in the forums for over a year, and nothing has changed with the Imager in terms of performance or reliability.

Can we have the specs for your computers so we can be bug free, too?  : )  Sorry, I'm frustrated with this as much as you folks are.

So, after deleting the application and installing 8.5.7, the Imager now boots. However the renderings problems and saving an imager rendering file are still problematic. When setting up multiple images from one project to render in Renderzone, all 4 images render as expected with the exception that image maps properly places on surfaces in Shaded and Shaded Full viewing in FormZ, now render improperly in Renderzone, both in FormZ and the Imager!

Then a test of the 4 files in Imager as Shaded Full yield the first view rendering correctly, with the next three only rendering the entourage library components and the correct background with no geometry at all. 

This is what I believe ASONE and others and I have detailed earlier in this thread. I cannot show you the file at this time...its confidential.

Archived