AutoDesSys

trouble selecting faces

allanjl

I thought there was a setting for controlling the following: You have a solid, faceted object with thousands of faces forming a shell. You want to apply a different material on the inside faces of the shell. You are in either shaded mode. You window select the faces you want (being careful not to have pick crossing selected), apply the color and find that the outside faces have been changed as well. 

It was my understanding that as long as you were window-selecting faces in shaded mode, you would only select the faces that you could see; not the ones behind them. But this is not the case. I thought selecting all faces that are windowed in only occurred in wire frame mode.

Could anyone tell me if there's a setting somewhere that can control this behavior?

Thank you.

The difficulty really comes in, that it is a faceted object.

with the pick tool, segment sequence pick option,  select a sequence on the outer portion of the shell.

Unstitch.

Select the inner portion of the shell, and Isolate objects.

Color the inner portion to what ever pleases you.

reverse the direction of the faces so that they face outward.

Reveal objects

Color your outer shell to what pleases you.

Stitch back the outer shell,

Boolean subtract the inner from the outer.

If it isn't already a shell, it may be easier, depending on the form.

If you boolean a shape from another, with two different colors as above, those colors translate.

If you have a smooth object, it is even easier, as it is a lot easier to select large swaths of area, and just change the color.

I guess, I didn't answer directly, 

if you have the faces you want a different color selected,    when the paint tool is selected,  in the options palette, turn off "Keep current material of faces".

Hope either of these help.

cheers!

¢£

Thanks Chris. I know there are work around ways to color these faces, such as un stitching the object, but like I said, the object has literally thousands of faces. It would be very time consuming. 

I'm surprised though, that this is the expected behavior of selecting faces in shaded mode.

I could have sworn that when you window select in shaded mode, formZ will select only the faces on the front of the object that you can see. Edit. I tested this. If the object is a solid, then you can only select the faces in front in shaded mode. The issue here is that the object is mixed. Hmmm... I wonder if there's any way to make it into a solid?

I am attaching the object here if anyone cares to look into it. 

Roche Bobois, morphos desk.zip

I would expect formZ to behave as you do.

I think the subject has come up before, but as I don't tend to import geometry from other or unknown sources, I don't really run into this issue.

Added to that, there is a lot of overlapping geometry, internal structure that shouldn't be there,  Flipped faces...  a bit of  a mess.

¢£

• 2 months later...

Archived