AutoDesSys

Bevel problem

DMclean

I want to create a board with a bevel down two parallel sides. I want the bevel to be 1/2" by 1/4". The standard bevel tool only allows symmetrical bevels, but if I go to controlled rounding I can do the asymmetrical. Sounds perfect.

Only problem is that if I try to bevel the two edges when I choose the second edge the bevel reverts to being symmetrical. I can bevel an entire face with the asymmetric bevel and can even deselect one of the edges so that three sides are bevelled with the 1/2 x 1/4 bevel, but if I deselect the third edge, the bevel reverts to being 1/2 x 1/2. There are workarounds I can do like creating the board a bit too long and then just cutting off the extra bevelled edge, but I'm curious why this happens. I can bevel one edge, three edges, and four edges, but not two.

Odd...

Thanks,

Doug

Mac Pro 5,1   OSX Sierra   latest formZ

Hi Doug,

We are not sure why that would occur.  Can you please copy the object in question into a new project, move a few copies of this object, and apply the 2, 3, 4 edge rounding to them (and leave at least one with the rounding off) so we can test with this here and get you some answers.

Hi Doug,

Ok, this is actually as expected, but it is easy to get what you want.  Just make one Controlled Rounding Bevel on one segment going one way -- and then simply create a second rounding / beveling group to which you can add your second segment and it will be able to maintain the unlocked offset.

Does that help?

It does indeed work when you do it that way, thanks for that. I find it a bit convoluted partly because of the fact that I'm using a two screen setup and the model is on one and the tool options on the other. If I'm doing something with a locked offset using plain rounding I can just remain focused on the model. 4 clicks and I'm done. With the controlled rounding and having to create 4 rounding sets (I'm doing both sides) it requires twice as many clicks, but more importantly disrupts my attention from the model to the dialog box 4 times. Sounds trivial, but it adds up when you're doing a lot of repetitions.

Glad to know how it works though. You can teach an old dog new tricks. Next time I won't be surprised or puzzled... unless of course I forget by then...

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Archived