AutoDesSys

form·Z 8.5.7 Pro WIP Download NOW Available! ;)

Tech

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,

We have been working on the next update to formZ v8.5 and we are pleased to announce that the form·Z 8.5.7 Pro WIP Download is now available.

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_work_in_progress.html

Please note that you need to be a v8.5 user in order to register and use this version, and that we kindly request that you submit any bug reports, observations, issues, or suggestions directly to support@formz.com so we can make formZ the best it can be! 

Thanks in advance, and Happy Modeling!

First impression 2D Layout:

- time from 3D model to 2D Layout is much better.

- add dimensions in 2D layout works well, except the dots in the dimension is not showing well. To see this, zoom in after printed to PDF.

- moving around frames ok.

- printing to PDF works well.

Improvement suggestion:

- the section tool in 3D modeller give you as result; 2D shaded shapes in the material as it was modelled. That would be wonderful to get in 2D Layout too.

3D Modeller:

- hopefully the bugs that run the geometry that I send by email can be fixed too.

Getting a bit more confidence... 

ADS make this update rock solid please, you made a start with this WIP. It seems promising... 

Thank you for that.

2D Layout dimension, and there is also an issue in the 3D modeller with dimensions.

2D Layout:

- draw a horizontal line.

- click on it with dimension tool active.

- place the dimension above the horizontal line: dimension is ok.

- place dimension under the line: dimension text height is not correct anymore.

3D modeller:

- dimension is different when placing it. Sometimes the text hit the dimension line and sometimes it is correct. This depends on where you start the dimension on the object.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, as described on the download page, WIP is added to the folder name so you can retain and access your release version while having time to test this updated version at the same time.

Des & Hugo,

Great, good to hear that the WIP version is addressing many of your needs.  Please make sure to EMail us @ support@formz.com if you find any new, or existing issues so we can address as many as possible before the final release of this update.  ;)

Hi Andrew,

If the destination file has Layers that are hidden that contain objects that are being pasted, then it is expected that these would end up on turned off layers (unless you selected the Paste on Active Layer option selected). 

Please make sure that you know if you have this Paste option enabled, and if there are any errors that you can reproduce,

PLEASE send an email to support@formz.com -- and include a file that shows the issue along with the steps you are doing (ie, Open this file, Select All, Copy, New Project, Paste -- and Groups are gone(?) -- or whatever is necessary?).  We can then test this ASAP and respond accordingly.

(And thanks in advance!) ;)

Hello guys.

Please be aware: in my case this update ruined Layout ability to print to PDF in proper way. Now my drafts look like 600x400 JPEGs with max compression. And what`s important — previous Layout is affected too. So I am unable to produce drafts at all.

Please let me know if anyone have found a workaround.

Best,

Anton.

Anton,

Installing the WIP (8.5.7) version will not have any effect on the functionality of the release version.  If you are getting the problem with v8.5.6, then it is something else on your system, or something else in your file that has changed.

Per your reports we have verified that there still can be an issue when using the Export 2d: PDF command -- but if you use the Print command instead, and print the PDF file using the Vector Output option, then you should get better results with this WIP version than with the release -- because we have added a number of improvements relative to printing.

There should not need to be a workaround to Printing PDF's because as far as we are aware, this is working normally for everyone else. 

We did send a PDF and FML version of a file that is working fine for us.  Did you have a chance to check the PDF we sent and do you see any problems with this?  And if this is OK, if you open the FML and Print to PDF from there, does my file work properly for you -- or no?

Please let us know so we can help.  (Feel free to email us directly again instead of posting here -- at least until we can come to some understanding or resolution -- or if you want to post to the forum, you should make a separate topic...)

Hello Tech.

Sorry for doubling this info. I just thought it could be useful for the others. I emailed you back with answers but unfortunately did not get any reply. Probably this is due to weekend time. 

In fact I tried to print with any option and nothing works. Export to PDF and vector print to PDF are producing just garbage showing the model parts that are off the content frame. Also images within layouts are disappearing on PDF. And no other app on my system is affected. Even an old FormZ Drafting module which prints the same good as it always was. Neither Illustrator nor Word or Chrome are giving as bad results as Layout does. And it happens to any file created in it. And it happened after I downloaded WIP. So believe it or not it is connected. And what I think — in some time you will write that you were able to reproduce it on one of your machines.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a generell question about FormZ updates:

why is there always something to copy - can't you do a self installer .exe? Every time a update is coming out i have to Change all shortcuts becuase of a new .exe. Never seen this in an other program.

Walter,

The WIP versions do not have an installer as they should not replace your release version. Although we have enough confidence in the WIP version to make it available for use, it still not a fully tested releasable product. You may need to go back to the release version if you encounter an issue with the WIP version.

When we make the official release we will have a new installer and patches and you should not need to update your shortcuts. 

Walter, not sure if I am interpreting this correctly,  but you can save out your shortcuts to a file from the older version, and then import them into the WIP.

Apologies, if this is what you were already saying.

cheers!

¢£

We updated the WIP version today form·Z 8.5.7 Pro [build #9925, 03/09/2017]

New in build #9925:

Define Arbitrary Reference plane tool now works properly in Wireframe.
Show/Hide edges overide now works as expected.
Hide ghosted renderering options now work for dimensions and notes.
Redo of Draft Angle operation now works after an undo.
High facet count subdivision objects now work propely on Windows.
Copy/Paste does not cause objects to randomly disappear.

Additional stability improvements.

Download fro the WIP page here: http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_work_in_progress.html

Anton,

Installing the WIP (8.5.7) version will not have any effect on the functionality of the release version.  If you are getting the problem with v8.5.6, then it is something else on your system, or something else in your file that has changed.

Per your reports we have verified that there still can be an issue when using the Export 2d: PDF command -- but if you use the Print command instead, and print the PDF file using the Vector Output option, then you should get better results with this WIP version than with the release -- because we have added a number of improvements relative to printing.

There should not need to be a workaround to Printing PDF's because as far as we are aware, this is working normally for everyone else. 

We did send a PDF and FML version of a file that is working fine for us.  Did you have a chance to check the PDF we sent and do you see any problems with this?  And if this is OK, if you open the FML and Print to PDF from there, does my file work properly for you -- or no?

Please let us know so we can help.  (Feel free to email us directly again instead of posting here -- at least until we can come to some understanding or resolution -- or if you want to post to the forum, you should make a separate topic...)

I put myself into a risk being annoying yet the problem was not solved. Since I installed WIP Layout app and tons of files turned into pumpkin. I can`t use it any more. And I don`t see any attempt to find a solution from your side. Your suggestion to print to PDF does not work obviously as this is a way I normally do it. And I can`t agree to leave it as it is because you suggest it is on my side (normal sysadmin behaviour). I definitely need my Layout in my workflow.

Neither here nor emails are answered. Would you please check what`s going on with print to PDF. The majority of FormZ users are getting paid for drafts not the pretty renders or nice models.

Regards,

Anton Voloshin.

Hi Anton, 

We tested your files in February when you first reported this issue but we were not able to reproduce the issue.  If we printed from Layout to a PDF with Vector Output checked, the PDF would always write in a vector format.  This was tested with and without Frames, with and without raster images, and every PDF with Vector Output was imported into Illustrator where the lines were all editable.  Which PDF software are you using?  Regardless if it was Adobe or a 3rd party solution, did you make sure they were up to date?  

Is anyone else having trouble producing vector PDFs when printing to PDF from Layout (with Vector Output selected)?  If so, please send your files and workflow/printing options to support@formz.com 

Hello Support,

In the Layout Improvements description for build #9917 it says "Export defaults to polylines (higher order levels now disabled).". Does this mean you can no longer export smooth lines of curved objects? Or, can higher orders be turned on if desired? I would see it as a detriment if you are not able to export arc's and splines of curved shapes.

Thanks,

Gary

Hello Support,

In the Layout Improvements description for build #9917 it says "Export defaults to polylines (higher order levels now disabled).". Does this mean you can no longer export smooth lines of curved objects? Or, can higher orders be turned on if desired? I would see it as a detriment if you are not able to export arc's and splines of curved shapes.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary, 

The change here is in the Export Options > Export Method > Plain Objects > Facetted.  The option to export these "as objects" and "as faces" have been removed because these options are not relevant when exporting a 2D Layout file.  These options always caused unnecessarily long export times for Layout files.

• 2 weeks later...

We updated the WIP version today form·Z 8.5.7 Pro [build #9929, 03/29/2017]

New in build #9929:

Palette positions are properly maintained on OS X systems with a second screen positioned above the main screen.
The Favorite tools window now works properly on all screens on OS X (not just the main screen).
Stream Line tool icon now shows properly.
Billboard tool now displays properly when changing image files.

Massively large RenderZone renderings now export properly. 

Various stability improvements and optimizations.

We expect to make an official release of this versions next week!

Download fro the WIP page here: http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_work_in_progress.html

Archived