AutoDesSys

v7 questions - axial sweeps and facetted shapes

pipo

1.  Axial Sweeps

Is it possible to show tool options (pick) and axial sweep options at the same time ?

When controls are visible in axial sweep , the source shape (when all points moved together ) does not snap to the path first point.....expected ?

First point alignment does not work as expected , for example a square with a point added half way along one segment

and then designated 'make first point' does not sweep as expected

2. Facetted arcs , circles , splines

No denying smooth shapes are great but for many architectural purposes we need to create arcs , curves etc with a fixed number of points or segments.

This is easy in 6.7.3 but in 7 it escapes me.

How to create an arc or circle with say 24 points/segments ?

How to convert a smooth arc, circle or spline etc into a specified number of segments ?

Excuse me if I am overlooking something basic but I find no info anywhere on this

Hi Pipo,

1.  Only the Tool Options for the active tool are shown in the Tool Options Palette.

Yes, better controls are needed for moving the source shape relative to a path in the Result Buffer "edit" mode.  For now, if you don't get what you want directly, use the Extract tool on the sweep, adjust the source as necessary, and re-sweep with the As Positioned option.

Yes, the First Point Alignment is not working properly IF the first point lies between two collinear segments.  Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

2.  Yes, we should restore the ability to draw "inherently smooth" shapes at a specific facetted representation directly.  To draw a circle at a specific resolution, just use the Polygon tool.  To convert a Spline or Arc to Facetted at a specific resolution, use the Polygonize tool from the Meshes tool row.

Does that help?

I have swept a closed shape along a closed circle to form a bowl (with a thickness).

once the bowl is swept, I can't seem to get a good side view of the source shape as it is lost in the many facets of the bowl.

I wan't to move the source shape so that the diameter is correct..

I am using V8.01 and I have jumped from V6.7 which had a separate dialogue box showing the source shape..

I am finding the jump to V8 from 6.7 very frustrating indeed. I know it is more powerful, but the visual clarity of line weights and workflow is tricky for me.  I have used Form Z virtually everyday since 1994.

Thanks Newbie

I seem to have sussed it now...

I can't seem to locate where the Sweep with Extract option is though..

I still think that a separate window with the profile and source shape would be useful as in 6.7 along with the reverse and flipping options.

Hi JTR,

As Rob notes, an easy way to get what you want is using the Extract tool, located on the Manage Tool Row:

post-5-0-61648500-1415713697_thumb.jpg

Then reposition if necessary, and re-sweep.

Yes, the additional controls offered by the v6 dialog do need to be incorporated for the future.  ;)

Archived