AutoDesSys

Import cameras from Maya or Blender?

3dguy

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get cameras from either Maya or Blender into FormZ. I can import and export cameras freely between Maya and Blender, but what is the trick to get cameras from either of those apps to show up in FormZ?

The reason I ask is because I've got a scene with a lot of cameras (1400!) that I need to render. Creating an animation with a single camera isn't going to work very well because the whole point of this project is perfect synchronization with an external video. The camera frames came from an x3d file that was generated at the same time the video footage was created (via gps coordinates). 

FormZ is the perfect tool to render this in because it's the only one that will allow me batch render all cameras from a singe scene at once. I can't do that with Maya or Blender without complicated scripts (which aren't even guaranteed to work), which is surprising and annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I found some references online to maya 2014 being able to export vrml2 and for other versions of maya having the ability to turn on additional file format exporter plugins from within it's preferences section.

I have used vrml from other software to share camera positions in the past with FZ.

I even have a vague recollection of exporting numerous camera positions from blender to FZ as vrml after using blenders camera tracking features. There are also references on blenders website to vrml as an import/export format, but I'm away from my computer and unable to verify.

The vrml suffix is .wrl.

Hi 3dguy,

Yes, FBX or VRML should both work.  If you give this a try, do either do those work for you?

VRML worked! Thanks for the help guys - I really appreciate it.  :)

Just out of curiosity, how do I import FBX into FormZ? I'm using 8.0 - is that a new feature of 8.5?

Archived