AutoDesSys

Workflow suggestion needed.

Xtrudio

Hello,

I am working on a San Francisco model and I am trying to find the optimal way to produce the blocks and streets, given the terrain. The final model will be exported to fbx format, then used in Unity for some animation. The file size should be as small as possible. I derived the terrain from an elevation file. After playing with smoothing and other options, the result is satisfactory. I created the blocks in Illustrator and extruded them. Now I have to intersect the blocks with the terrain (all are solids). I debated between using intersection, b-split or s-split. I tried a few blocks and it worked, but it's not time effective. I selected all blocks and terrain and applied b-split (I believed it was two-way) and the computer was still working after 27 hours. At this point I stopped that process and before I start to do it individually or in small batches, I was hoping that somebody has a suggestion for a better workflow or process.

Thanks,

Horia

post-398-0-93301400-1479410566_thumb.png

post-398-0-70802400-1479410577_thumb.png

post-398-0-53201000-1479410594_thumb.png

Hi Horia,

For generating an optimized terrain like this, first, make sure that you have created the lowest facetted resolution for the "illustrator" blocks (and the terrain object should be facetted too).  Triangulate the objects with the Strict Planarity option.  Group all the blocks and and execute a 1 way Boolean Split, clicking on the Terrain first, then the block group.

Does that work better for you and get you what you want?

Well,

I tried to import/create low resolution blocks but no matter what I did, it always comes in with too many points. I then tried the poligonize tool but not all objects have the same number of points, so it doesn't work to use the tool globally. I read the manual, but didn't find how to import paths with low res.

Any info on this?

Thanks,

Horia

post-398-0-16722000-1479528027_thumb.png

post-398-0-66393400-1479528036_thumb.png

This doesn't currently exist...  Yes, it would be great to have a...

Select By Criteria /   options:

-number of points in objects

- range of number of points from ____ to _____ points

Then we could select sets of polys for polygonize tool or...

sets of faceted objects for    Reduce tool.

(These work well currently).

Dear Horia,

In general just setting this to Display Resolution: Simple = 0% should be fine, but you can use additional facetting options -- or polygonize options if necessary.

If the Simple 0% is not what you need, please post a simple file with a smooth curve imported from Illustrator so we can see what exact settings we would recommend for your data...

Hi Extrudio,

Thanks for posting your file.  This case requires a few more steps because the "straight portions" of these blocks are also defined as curves:

post-5-0-52658900-1479743287_thumb.jpg

To get what you want:

1.  Import the file.

2.  Get the Close Line tool, Select All, and click in the screen.

3.  Get the Convert tool, Select All, and convert to Facetted

4.  Get the Reduce Mesh tool, Select All, and click in the screen.  The default 5 degree angle should be a good starting point, but you can increase that angle as you like (or decrease it a little but not more than what is really needed -- if necessary).

Now your file should work a lot better.   Does that help?

• 1 month later...

It's exactly for this reason that we need the OLD tool options that you could set the specific number of facets (like most other 3D programs) of a curved spline or surface.  Percentages of 100 don't mean anything when you're exporting.  All the faceting scheme options and there's on where to put in a simple number like "40" so I have 10 segments every 90 degrees. This has been very frustrating since 7.

Archived