AutoDesSys

"Ruins" project... concrete, cables, rebar, vegetation.... Vue...

-andrew-

Hi all,

Finally getting back to a project in which I'm modeling "modern ruins", i.e. concrete structures in various states of decay.

I'm looking for suggestions for the following:

1) Concrete textures, both new and worn

2) Suggestions for best practices for realistic sagging/hanging cables

3) Convincing textures for cables and rebar, typically from slightly to very corroded

4) Vegetation... big one... I own Vue, but am not certain I can get convincing vines/vegetation growing up the surfaces of things. 

I plan on modeling in FZ and bringing it into Vue, somehow, to get vegetation in place and render.

Any suggestions appreciated!

thx

Andrew

I have used Vue in the past along side Form.z.  Not the easiest interface.  I did find that 3DS was the best exporter for keeping things from getting corrupted.  Be aware that there are polygon limits to the exporter so if the model gets huge brake it apart and import it in pieces.

As for convincing textures there are many options for both free and paid images on the internet.  A quick search will leave you bewildered with options. 

To get realistic corrosion and loose vegetation you might have to balance the 3D and 2D sides of your process.  Some things are just better off left to photoshop.  There are many dirt, stain and splatter brushes you can download for free.  I have one set of brushes that is just wet footprints and another that is tire tracks.  Modeling this kind of thing is a waste of time unless you are doing an animation.

AW 

Hi Andrew-

Thanks - funny, you answered a related past question about worn concrete...

I've googled a bit for textures, but, as you note, there are so many, I thought it may help to ask in case anyone had first-hand experience with good results.

I personally don't pay for textures any more unless I am in a crunch and don't have time to go out and find what I need.  Over the years I have taught myself to always carry a camera around and look for images I can use in my illustrations.  Now with the better cameras in our phones I find it easier than ever to get what I need. 

Here is an Ivy generator:

And a discussion about how to get it to work in FZ:

It "grows" ivy on your geometry.

Thanks setz!

Wow... I'm familiar with the Ivy tool - that goes way back! (Used a long time ago with Carrara...)

I found it too difficult to get jump-started with similar softwares...

Onyx Trees generates massively large facet counts, which suggested to me that modern 3d has road blocks, (much as PC-processors need new materials to boost  chip speed).

However, we can use the P-Scatter tool to replace good-looking 3d plant models with point clouds bearing fewer point objects, (for more distant objects)....  Same with V-Scatter to replace little seen objects.

3dCoat looked like a great software for eroded archeological modeling, but i couldn't find enough jump start video which had indices of options. (Short vids demonstrating single, specific tool uses, instead long generalized vids). 

I have experimented with photos taken in my local gravel pit and also of degrading concrete, but this has not been exciting enough to encourage my interest in such modeling.

If you manage to use Shaded for renders, you can use simple curves for "hanging cables" and then select wire-object(s), go to Attributes and increase Line Weight, to get the looks you want. These can save hours on navigating and rendering.

Archeologically styled architecture has always been  one of my objectives, all in itself, as a design+build type of person. However it is impossible to stir up interest in this style, here in New England, so i moved on. I have had to feel like a stranger in a strange land  ;)

Archived