AutoDesSys

Value

Rafe Ropek

• 2 weeks later...

The price is good but it is just a fancy toy for us so far. For us the best feature is the clipping planes functionality.

We still need to use our laptop in our workshop, as the viewer has very limited usefulness to us because it does not yet support groups. We would need to reassign the way we use layers to get the functionality we need. This is because we currently organise our projects into groups which are our assemblies and we need to explore a group and click on parts in the group to obtain it's part name and serial number so we can identify it in our cut-list.

We look forward to further enhancement of this app in the future, to support groups and clicking on parts for information. That would take it beyond the toy stage to become a useful tool. We would pay more for that.

Hi Rafe,

The viewer is doing quite well in general.  We are surprised you are not getting more answers here, but here is one more opinion (R2's last line) in case that helps:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/4052-steps-of-how-to-transfer-formz-file-to-the-viewer/&do=findComment&comment=16453

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback, we will see if something like that can be supported for the future.  ;)

• 2 months later...

Support,

Just a thought. I suppose I'm not the only one who shares his models with others for reference only. In my case, I translate my model to sketchup and sent it to consulting engineers for them to understand the architecture. Having said that, I would love to be able to send them formZ files instead, that they could view on their PC's. 

I know the viewer is meant for Ipads, and the like, but what are the chances that it could also be written as an app for computers?

Please let me know.

Support,

Just a thought. I suppose I'm not the only one who shares his models with others for reference only. In my case, I translate my model to sketchup and sent it to consulting engineers for them to understand the architecture. Having said that, I would love to be able to send them formZ files instead, that they could view on their PC's. 

I know the viewer is meant for Ipads, and the like, but what are the chances that it could also be written as an app for computers?

Please let me know.

I needed to let a customer view a model very recently. and exported it as dwg and they have used the free DWG Trueview 2017 from Autodesk, available for pc and mac and found it to be a good solution.

Archived