AutoDesSys

formZ 9

Andre Conlledo

Has there been any chatter about a major revision for the near future? FormZ 8 followed FormZ 7 remarkably fast. Given that this forum seems to suggest many improvements and fixes, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been some war drums from Autodessys to excite the user base...

I reckon it's because V9 is going to be so brilliant we will think it is V10 and well worth the wait :) But in all seriousness, I don't want a rush job. I only want to use solid software which won't have a multitude of bugs or be susceptible to crashing. Reliability is more important than new bells and whistles for a work tool because that is generally what saves the most time.

Alan,

I hope they will develop v9 better then they did v8, we'll see...

I agree with you it should be free of crashes and major bugs. Anyway, I lost faith and that is after all those years, more then 23 of using FMZ, a shame. I lost energy to report the bugs in v8.5, which is a pity.

When was the last major update to fix bugs??? ...I forgot, to long ago.

ADS, please give priority to fix all bugs reported over the last 2 or more years. 

Thank you in advance and looking forward to see a beta version 9.

Hugo, FZ pro 8.5.7 is mainly free from crashes and bugs. Is that what you are using? I still 'save as' regularly as a necessary habit, but loss of work is infrequent now as long as modelling is done sensibly. I agree that has not always been the case but I am glad I persevered through some of the difficult times mainly in V7 and 8 as FZ 8.5.7 is most certainly a powerful and capable design tool.

Post or email bugs and requests. ADS does listen to their user base and is truely interested in making their software as great as it can be.

Version 8 has come a long way from V7 and is very stable. ADS continues to constantly update the functionality and is consistently adding value to the software. I wish I had more time to submit requests/suggestions and I do whenever I have a moment.

Agree that 3D modelling works well, but my experiance about creating output, is poor. My most recent issue; in 1 3D model i had to export 1 object with dimensions as a 3D DWG. In total 12 different layers as 12 seperate DWG's. The result: 4 layers perfect, 8 layers missing the objects. And when using hiddenline, text is created in many single segments not readable at all. Not to speak about layout or getting consistent vector output in any way. My standard for WYSIWYG is Vectorworks. Probably the best graphics output in CAD. In an earlier post i mention about many little issues, as if the software is developed in a hurry.

If i only modelling and render with Maxwell, i am happy with the result. If i need all kind of other, lets say (2D) output... then... pffffff

To say something positive, 3D modelling, the way it can be done is very nice.

I do understand the allure of these software wish lists, but I also find them somewhat unnessary. Saying “software X does this, and software Y does this, can software Z do the same?” Is like asking a chef at one restaurant to prepare your meal the way another place does it. If one software works well in certain aspects, use that software. Use a bunch of software! I know formZ’s strong points and it’s limitations so I use something else where formZ falls short.

The ONLY issue with this is finding a common file extension that works well in both programs. So I’m going to break my previously stated rule and just say that I hope formZ can solve all the import/export problems. I’ve had random problems with DWG, STEP, OBJ, FBX in the past so generally I export all 4 and see which one works best with my destination software. It’s not the most glamorous workflow but its something...

Agree that 3D modelling works well, but my experiance about creating output, is poor. My most recent issue; in 1 3D model i had to export 1 object with dimensions as a 3D DWG. In total 12 different layers as 12 seperate DWG's. The result: 4 layers perfect, 8 layers missing the objects. And when using hiddenline, text is created in many single segments not readable at all. Not to speak about layout or getting consistent vector output in any way. My standard for WYSIWYG is Vectorworks. Probably the best graphics output in CAD. In an earlier post i mention about many little issues, as if the software is developed in a hurry.

If i only modelling and render with Maxwell, i am happy with the result. If i need all kind of other, lets say (2D) output... then... pffffff

To say something positive, 3D modelling, the way it can be done is very nice.

Hugo, were AD Support not able to help you specifically with your export problem? They normally find a way to achieve what you need and in my experience have been very responsive.

Alan,

have no complain about ADS support team and they always try to help. They do their job very well, as a support team. Although the errors I speak about is part of the way the software is developed. ADS support have to deal with it anyway. Last week I sent a file, as mentioned in my earlier post, not yet reaction. But it's ok for me, solved the issue myself in a different way. But, if my client insists to get the 3D DWG, I couldn't deliver.

Edited by Hugo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David, 

Sorry to hear about your disappointment.  Our lack of response is strictly because formZ 9 is still in development.  In this phase we are still determining which issues are the most imperative to address to deliver a product that will please our entire user base.  As much as we strive to include everyone's suggestion, this simply is not possible so we cannot respond to every post saying whether or not it will be included in the next version.

When we get closer to moving formZ 9 into the private beta or public beta stage, then we will start dishing out some more information :) 

In the meantime, keep your suggestions coming!  We are listening!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A feature that I would find most helpful is topological cycling via shortcut and like that available in Nevercenters Silo it's simple and available. Having it accessible as an overlay within the viewport is very handy and tidy (i find formz a great tool but I've always found the UI functional but untidy )

The tool manager is very helpful on this front but the fact I cannot add the topological selection to it is a bit of a misstep as is a lack of pop ups for numerical input, I find I do an awful lot of unnecessary mouse tracking to get jobs done.

A scene states feature would also be a great addition allowing for positional and may be material iterations.

I use a 3dconnexion device, mouse and as little keyboard as possible.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Last few months I uploaded several movie’s with errors to ADS support, they were happy to see these bugs in a movie. It makes supporting and solving much easier, they said.  I’m using the latest version of the software and I am happy I could help them in this way. 

Today I have read this complete thread again and again it seems we users lost our interests. More than a year ago today; no input. So I give it a little kick...

ADS, how is it going these days with the development of the next version? Is there anything you can bring to the forum?

Edited by Hugo

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I received some upgrade offers from ADS here in the UK that mentions v9 is coming late summer...

Maybe the fact that they have been virtually invisible in the forum for so long now points to this being the case - hard at work on the next release.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this application still a living thing? In the years since Upgrading to FZ 8.x I have had three revisions to MODO, two revisions to Rhino and Blender has launched a free 3D application that emphasizes how far 3D tech and hardware have come.

There were 2 posts in 2018 about v9 and the few from 2019 sound like calls in the wilderness. Ever since unveiling their support for V-Ray, it's seemed like all further development went into suspended animation. A better rendering solution was a MUST... but there are still lots of things to improve and frankly, considering MODO, Rhino and Blender all have stellar renderers built into the package... the price point on FromZ (which needs an outside renderer to compete) is not making a whole lot of sense.

I dunno ADS, feels like you're losing interest or conceding that time has simply passed FormZ by.