AutoDesSys

Non Planar Face

DJAB

Guys, I will attach a series of screen shots below. Im trying to create a shape that has a curved / arced end.

I create the square part using the spline tool, and extrude. Easy.

But when it comes to the arc I must be missing something.

I drew the arc,

extruded the line as a surface,

used the cap tool to create the face I wanted,

I thought I would be able to extrude this face as I please, but I can't - its telling me its non planar. I can't see how it could mathematically be non planar using the method that I did... The extrude tool will work, but not the reshape. Also it does not union correctly with the box, the arc seams to have a lot of info attached to it.

Any ideas?

Andy

post-15766-0-60536300-1477431721_thumb.png

post-15766-0-35179000-1477431734_thumb.png

post-15766-0-61186500-1477431746_thumb.png

post-15766-0-28419800-1477431763_thumb.png

post-15766-0-39637200-1477431777_thumb.png

R2D2's way is probably better, quicker and cleaner.

The shape tools is the way to go with more complicated shapes. Just select one and click to trace/draw a shape, while still active select another such as a curve tool and it will continue as many times as you wish until it's closes. If you start with a curve instead of vector line, make sure "continuous" is checked in tool options. Don't use the first one on the left (line) if you want it to continue.

post-16-0-85024700-1477487953_thumb.jpg

Maybe I'm looking at this problem wrong but surely the problem is that you drew just an open arc and not a closed shape.

Draw the rectangular 2D shape as you did and extrude. Then draw the 2D straight edge along the base of the arc and switch to the arc tool as Des says until you get the closed symbol. Then extrude.

Or draw the outline of the complete shape then extrude. Then on the top face of the extrusion draw a 2d line from one edge of the extruded arc to the next and use the imprint tool to add this line to the top surface. Use reshape tool to push-pull as required.

Guys, thanks.

Des suggested was what I was looking for, the ability to change from curve to straight lines whilst I define the face, I will have to try that. 

I was confused however, how did I manage to create a non planar face? I don't understand how that was possible, mathematically? I extruded a line up to the exact same height as the box and caped it to produce a face, how does that make it non planar? 

Andy

Archived