AutoDesSys

Problem-free facetted objects from composite curve profile

Alan Cooper

The reshape tool in FormZ 8.5.4 creates a smooth object. This is not always as versatile as a facetted object. Turning a reshape from smooth to facetted can produce bad geometry if starting with a composite curve profile produced from polyline, sorry, vector line with spline curve for example.

The attached illustration takes you through a process which will repair the profile so it is fit to use for good facetted results.

There is also a zipped formZ file which additionally includes an example of extruding instead of reshaping. In either case, the profile requires repair.

The key to the repair is: convert the smooth object to facetted and start over again, this time using a composite curve profile taken from the facetted object.post-242-0-02133000-1474788830_thumb.jpg

5StagesCurveProfileToGoodFacetedObject.zip

Hi Tech, I think this smooth objects problem has been trouble for years. I hope we get an option in the next version to work in FormZ entirely with facetted solids as I think I have little or no need of smooth objects for my work. These renders from today's modelling are facetted solids with no smooth solids at all. Adequate for me.

post-242-0-88970700-1474841450_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-92693700-1474841476_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-85756700-1474841491_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

When converting, if you use the Polygon Mesh tool (or Display Resolution) set to Expert Options: Polygon Type: No Triangles: Quad Tree, then you should be able to avoid this issue.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, we will get it corrected.

Hi Tech,

Thank you. Will you be releasing 8.5.6 imminently to overcome the reshape by distance issue in 8.5.5 which others have mentioned on the 8.5.5 release thread? I mention this because if so, perhaps 'No Triangles' could be made default, if it isn't already.

Best regards,

Alan.

Archived