AutoDesSys

Reshape specific numeric amount

AsOne

• 5 months later...

I end up using Extend for this. Obviously it doesn't work in all instances, like if the face to extend is coplanar with another, but most of the time it works well. I agree this would be a nice addition and have also asked for it in the past.

Evan,  actually I could draw a plane at the distance I need, select all faces, extend tool.  That would work great.  Thanks for the tip.  

However, I still would love reshape specific amount.

ASONE,

You can enter a numeric value in the Input palette like this:

- Select the Reshape tool.

- Pick the face to use for reshaping.

- The Input palette will display a "Distance" field on the right side.

- This field will be auto-highlighted so type the desired fixed distance to reshape.

- Press return/enter and the reshape will execute at the specified distance.

If this does not work for you could you please elaborate on how you would expect it to work?

Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion. This is logical for an object like a cube where there is a clear concept of depth relative to the face being reshaped. How would you expect it to function where there is no clear concept of depth or dimension. For example, reshaping the side of a pyramid, or a face of a sub-d object, or an object with a hole?

ASONE, et. al., 

To clarify, if you were to draw a pyramid, select the Extrusion tool, uncheck Dynamic in the Tool Options and set a fixed distance, then click on a single face of the pyramid... this is the same outcome you want with the Reshape tool, correct?  

The difference is that the extrusion tool creates a separate object whereas the Reshape tool would keep this as one, whole solid object.

I know how to reshape to a given numeric amount.  

What I want is a fixed distance option similar to the draw rectangle (or similar tools) height option.  It would default to "Dynamic", but have an option for a fixed distance.  

Say I want to reshape several wood beams in my project to make them 2x10's instead of 2x8's.  I can enter 2" in the Reshape fixed distance option and simply click on each face of the 2x8's.  Certainly I reshape each one, reshape one and copy them, or I can draw a face and use the extend tool, but fixed reshape would be faster than all those options in many circumstances.  Fixed value reshape would be really useful and I think other users would agree. 

While we are at it:  PLEASE PLEASE pretty PLEASE fix the bug that deselects the auto-highlighted numeric entry box while mouse panning or applying a temporary guide.  This bug has persisted and been called out since version 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Archived